I'm a 6 ft. tall, 51 year old male who has recently lost about 60 pounds, going from 250 to 190 pounds. I'd like to lose another 15 to get back to what I consider my ideal weight of 175. My current MI is 25.8, making me just a little overweight. If I drop the additional 15, I'll be right in the "normal" range.

This jibes pretty well with what I see when I look in the mirror: not bad for an old guy, but with a little extra flab I could do without.

I've been working out, but I'm not what you'd call muscular, and my fitness goals have more to do with endurance and toning than looking like Charles Atlas. (I'm getting in shape to go surfing again.)

The other day I was talking to a a friend who is a nurse practitioner. She commented on how good I looked, and I mentioned that I intended to lose another 15 pounds, and she said I should stop where I was. I thought she was just being nice, and pointed out that I still see a little "extra" when I look in the mirror, and she said something about how anorexia distorts body image! I asked her if she was kidding, and she said she wasn't.

Is this something I need to worry about? I thought my body image was pretty dead-on, and the fact that my BMI calculation tells me the same thing makes me very skeptical of her assessment, but I've seen too many women with totally unrealistic body images to believe that this kind of thing can't happen, and I know that the people who are affected by it aren't aware of it.

Well, I'm guessing that when you're standing in front of the mirror, your shirt is off, and while you were speaking to this women, your shirt was on. Perhaps you look just fine to people.

According to BMI, yes, you're a little overweight. Losing some pounds would be an okay thing to do, according to medical science. Your ideal weight is fine, but keep in mind that once you hit 184 lbs., you're considered healthy.

Thanks. I asked one of the docs at work, and she agreed I could stand to lose a few pounds.