what blood work is done to determine herpes simplex 2 if there are no visible sores or lesions?

Hi. I work in a laboratory so, i can help you with this. Your doctor can order blood tests to determine whether u have herpes. The Doctor will check for herpes simplex virus, type 1 and 2, IgG and IgM. There are a couple different ways test. Some tests check for herpes type 1 and type 2 together. If the results come back positive, there is no way, from that test, to tell whether it is HSV1 or HSV2 (they are both treated the same way tho). There is another method of testing called Immunoflourescent Assay or IFA. This is the type of methodology used to determine whether you have HSV I or HSV II. Ask your doctor to request HSV I/II IgG & IgM by IFA for the most accurate and reliable results. If your Doc just wants to take a genital swab and send it in, politely decline. The only way a swab will come back positive is if you are mid-outbreak. Bloodwork is the only true way to determine whether you are infected or not.