I have heard one friend of mine had Herpes few months ago. He told me it was herpes HSV1. I guess that was oral herpes, but I am not sure. I would like to know more about this one. Also, what’s difference between oral and genital herpes?

Under the microscope, Herpes HSV1 and HSV2 are virtually identical. They share approximately 50% of their DNA. Both types infect body’s mucosal surfaces, mouth or genitals and they establish latency in nervous system. Herpes HSV1 usually establishes latency in the trigeminal ganglion a nerve cells near the ear. From there, HSV1 tends to recur on the lower lip or face. HSV2 usually sets up in sacral ganglion and from there it recurs in the genital area. Most people don’t understand someone can have HSV1 genitally or orally. Those the two types are essentially the same virus. There is one common myth that Herpes HSV1 causes a mild infection that is occasionally bothersome, but never dangerous. Actually, HSV1 is usually mild, especially when it infects the lips, face or genitals. Sometimes HSV1 can recur in eye, causing ocular herpes, potentially serious infection which can lead to blindness.