I have herpes simplex virus (HSV) type 1. I understood that this was the type of virus which predominantly causes oral infections - so called cold sores around your lips. On the other hand, one of my friends claims that having one type of this virus doesn’t mean that you are protected from outbreaks that affect those parts of your body that are not usually affected. In other words, is it possible to have HSV 1 genitally if you already have it orally?

Your friend is undoubtedly right, just because one of the viruses is labelled HSV 1 and the other HSV 2 it doesn’t mean that the former afflicts only the mouth area and the latter only the genital area. On the contrary, interchanges between them are quite common. So, to make the long story short, you can get symptoms on your genital area if you are diagnosed with HSV 1 just as easily as you can get cold sores around your mouth if you are diagnosed with HSV 2. This means that you have to avoid unnecessary touching of any part of the body which has sores and lesions typical of this infection. After touching it always wash your hands with hot water and soap. This should greatly reduce the probability of transmitting the virus from one part of your body to another. The good thing is that the virus itself is not resistant to high temperatures and very, very soon after leaving the body it dies.

I am inclined to reply also to correct a number of incorrect answers supplied by medical doctors elsewhere in the web.
If you have had oral hsv1 in the past, you can develop genital have 1 later.
It might be very unlikely but it can happen.
In my case oral hsv1 which had not recurred in ten plus years, and now a genital occurrence confirmed as hsv1.... several days after a sexual contact with someone presumably shedding hsv1.