I just found out that I have herpes (HSV-2) on my outer thigh. Two years earlier it was misdiagnosed as shingles. I'm pretty devastated about the news and the first thing that comes to mind is that I'll never be able to have a normal relationship again. I'm a young woman in her late 20s and I can't imagine someone wanting to date someone with herpes if given the choice. The person who passed it to me didn't tell me so I didn't have the option to say no. But I respect that I have to tell potential partners! I need to know more about transmission. I met with one doctor who didn't take my questions very seriously that I had prepared for her. I get the outbreak maybe 2 times a year always in very cold times when I'm very stressed out and my immune system is already weaker from flu/cold. The outbreak is on my upper left thigh on the outside. Whenever I have gotten the outbreak I usually cover it with a bandaid mainly because it's ugly, but now that I know what it is I guess it's good that I do that so I don't spread it anywhere else on my body.

Here are my main questions:

1. How do I keep from spreading it to others (besides no sex/oral during an outbreak)?
2. My doctor said since my outbreaks are at most 2 times a year I don't need to take daily meds, I can take them when I feel the tingle start. Is this true?
3. Can I spread herpes from my genitals even though it's based only on my thigh?
4. What is the chance I'd spread to someone I'm intimate with when I don't have an outbreak? My thigh obviously isn't easy to cover every single time I have sex. My doctor made it seem like it's much harder to spread because it's on my thigh BUT it's not covered so isn't it much easier to spread?
5. Can I receive oral sex without automatically giving someone herpes?

I was just reading conflicting stories and studies about people with HSV2 receiving oral sex. One story said that it's very very rare for HSV2 to spread to the mouth. Another said you can never get oral sex again.
Again, it's on my outter thigh so I'm just very confused on what I can and cannot do. I won't even consider doing anything during a break out. And I know that there is shedding even without a break out. My doctor said the shedding tends to spread from the area where the outbreaks are

Someone make me understand this spot (thigh) specific information please!! Thank you!!

Tell me when you get answers! I too get HSV2 on my thigh, never on the genitals. I don't know that I believe that I shed from my genitals if I get no lesions there....maybe I'm in denial!

I would love to know the answer to this as well! I have it on my left outer thigh/hip.  My doctor said that it can spread from only that particular nerve ending which is not part the genitals, but Im not sure how big the nerve ending is.....

I too feel like l might have herpes. I went to the DOCS and they looked at it and said it wasn't. Did a blood test upon my request and the results came back negative. It has only been 4days after l feel like l caught it so l am not sure whether l should rely on the tests. My rush looked like small little fluid blisters and l applied tea tree oil and it became one long blisters about 5cm. is it possible its herpes, please help l am so conflicted

I feel like l might have herpes. I went to the DOCS and they looked at it and said it wasn't. Did a blood test upon my request and the results came back negative. It has only been 4days after l feel like l caught it so l am not sure whether l should rely on the tests. My rush looked like small little fluid blisters and l applied tea tree oil and it became one long blisters about 5cm. is it possible its herpes, please help l am so conflicted. Also there was a red line from say the knee all the way to the thigh hip bone but only close to the hip bone was where the rush turned into one long blister after applying tree tea oil