Hi, I'm 35 years old and I have a problem with my scrotum. A week ago painful blood blisters started to appear allover my scrotum. At first redness appeared and then reddish blisters started popping out everywhere on the surface of the scrotal skin. Later those blisters would fill with pus, break, and at last bleed, of course with unimaginable pain during that process. One of my friends told me that he had similar symptoms and when he went to the doctor they told him that it was genital herpes. Could it be herpes in my case also?

The blood blisters on the scrotum, the kind you have described can be a sign of many sexually transmitted diseases including genital herpes. Genital herpes is caused by a virus called herpes simplex. There are two types of herpes virus, types 1 and 2. Type 1 usually infects the area around the mouth but it can be spread to groin area during oral sex, and type 2 that usually infects groin area but it can also be found elsewhere. You probably have the latter form. Unfortunately there is no known cure against herpes simplex virus and against most of the viral infections, generally speaking, but there is nothing to worry about since herpes is not a serious infection and shouldn’t leave serious long lasting consequences on your health. There are however few medicines like Zovirax or Valtrex that can help with the causes of the disease. Still, before you do anything you should consult your doctor since even if you are infected with herpes there is a great possibility that you are also infected with some other STD.