I have this terrible thing on my groin…I don’t know what it is. At first I thought that was a pimple but now I think it might be herpes. How will I know is it a pimple or herpes?

Herpes is a viral infection. When the virus gets to your skin he starts to multiply. Skin becomes sensitive, red and very soon more blisters appear. That area is usually painful and itching, Flu symptoms are also common (headache, swollen glands…).Symptoms of herpes usually develops 3-15 days and it can last for several weeks. Those are typical symptoms for herpes and if you have them than it is herpes. With pimples there are no symptoms.

I just had to post this somewhere and maybe it will put your mind at ease as well. About a year ago, I was in the shower and found a small, almost wart-like bump in the area between my vagina and my anus. I immediately freaked out. I had been with my boyfriend for eight months at that point, 100% faithful, though not using protection, so I thought it a little peculiar that if I had gotten an STD from him, it hadn't shown up before.

I put off going to the gynocologist because the idea of being diagnosed with an STD of any sort scared the c**p out of me. I even made a gyno appointment for the month following my discovery, and cancelled it out of fear.

Earlier this week, I had another bump appear on my left inner thigh. After 24 hours, it must have ruptured and went away. It never had time to get sore, I suppose. If you google the term "papule", I found that it most resembled this. Before I could even decide whether or not to worry about it, two days later, two more of the same papules popped up, this time about two inches apart and on my right inner thigh. By this point, I have been googling excessively STD's, and looking at every picture of both herpes and genital warts that I could find. I even had a very tiny wart-like bump still on my left inner thigh from about 6 months back. By some coincidence, I even had a yeast infection about a week before these three bumps appeared.

When I began reading about the STD's, I convinced myself that I either had herpes, genital warts, or a combination of both. Just about every website has a terrifying picture of the STD's, or it leaves little to no hope for anyone concerned by saying something like "but you could just get one bump, and have a very mild outbreak". This of course convinced me further that I had obtained an STD.

I shave down there only about once a month, which further convinced me that it couldn't be an ingrown hair or a razor bump. I convinced myself that the yeast infection that I had must have been the "tingling sensation" that one is supposed to experience prior to a herpes outbreak. It didn't matter that my wart from 6 months ago hadn't grown to become a cauliflower bunch of some sort, and it didn't matter that I would have had a herpes outbreak 2-14 days after initial contact, I was convinced. All the "mild" reactions, "symptom-less" possibilities with STD's, message boards, and other people's stories all freaked me out enough to give me the nerve to make a gynocologist appointment and have my two bumps checked out.

That was two weeks ago. My appointment was today. I'm so incredibly relieved to say that the doctor took one look at my bumps and said that it was definitely folliculitis, and that ingrown hairs had become infected. The wart-like bump from 6 months ago? A skin tag.

Of course, of the few times that I attempted to calm myself mentally for the last two weeks, it definitely crossed my mind that the bumps were pretty much where my butt creases with my thigh, and that friction/summertime/sweating may have caused some irritation, but Google had me thinking HERPES HERPES HERPES. I've slept with a good amount of people, and I've had unprotected sex with about four. I'm currently having unprotected sex with my boyfriend of two years (who has no bumps whatsoever but who has also been around the block), so I'm not coming to you with this information as a virgin or someone who has a small chance of obtaining an STD.

Because I was so worried, I just want to let everyone know there's a big possibility that what you may be worrying about is absolutely nothing. My bump wasn't a cluster, but it hurt. It didn't itch, but it oozed. No picture looked enough like it until I found a page that mentioned "papules", which truly represents what I had found. Hopefully I can put at least one person's mind at ease, even if it's just until their doctor's appointment, as I wish someone else could have done for me prior to mine. Hope this helps someone!

Thanks so much Guest who posted on 08/23/07 i was so worried i had herpes at such a young age 16 i though my entire sex life was ruined forever like u i also googled alot of info and looked at pics but my bumps never looked the same either until you mentioned "pupules" and i am quite certian thats what i have and that gives me alot more confidence to see a doctor about them thank you.

As much as this conversation has helped, I'm still not convinced, at least, from a male's perspective. I have a fairly large pimple-like thing in between my anus and testicles that has been around for at least two weeks now. However, I haven't had unprotected sex since last September. How am I supposed to tell if it's not herpes or something else? Because like many of you, I don't really want to go to the doctor unless I'm convinced I have to...

This may seem innappropriate but its true.
That could only be herpes if you had homosexual anal sex performed on you.
If that's not the case, since it's between your testicles and anus, the only way it could be herpes is if that area between your testicles and anus came into contact with the girls vagina. I think that would be quite difficult to do :-) Its an inflammed hair follicle. Basically I think if it's not really painful at all when not touching it, and it has a certain mass under the skin (inflammed hairs/pimples/etc have masses under the skin) it is not herpes.

if you have a pimple like object near your anus then you prbly have hemroids.

To the Guest concerned about a "pimple-like thing between [his] anus and testicles" and the other Guest who replied with the opinion that it could only be herpes if the person had had homosexual [a-n-a-l] sex . . . " -- I don't believe this is true. Here is what I've found through more research on other sites (which various sites rather seem to corroborate):

After infection and outbreak, the virus will retreat into the nervous system -- and in genital herpes this would be near the base of the spine.

"Nerves can have many 'axons' which is why the herpes virus can travel different pathways to your skin. This is why outbreaks may naturally appear in different areas 'nearby' to one another.

"However, each nerve has a particular area of skin that it serves called a dermatome. The herpes lesions are limited to the dermatome it initially infected unless you infect yourself somewhere else.

"This means that the outbreaks are limited to the body area where the infection exists (for example, the genital area) unless you contract or spread the infection somewhere else.

"The nerves in the genitals, upper thighs and buttocks are connected: therefore, in the case of genital herpes a person could experience outbreaks in any of these areas. Such areas include the vagina, vulva, penis, scrotum, anus, buttocks and thigh.

"Although the above scenario is possible, if the virus reoccurs it typically surfaces in the same spot or directly nearby the 'original' site of infection."

So, it's my understanding (from reading and from having spoken with people who've had outbreaks, or their partners have) that the site of the outbreak may occur in a variety of places, such as was stated above. The individual who posted the initial post question about the "pimple-like thing between [his] anus and testicles" does not have (from these posts) any certainty of having herpes or not, nor of having to have had any particular encounter such as a-n-a-l sex. If it is due to the herpes virus (which is undetermined at this point) he could have acquired it through a variety of sexual activities -- and again this is IF it's even herpes in the first place.

hey everyone, i know this is opening an old post, but im in some serious need. about a month ago i started getting what looked like a zit on my penis, after washing my body everyday eventually it went away, then a few days later another one showed up, i was like wtf. i hate talking about this stuff with the doctor so im tryin to get confidence that its either nothing or its something small. i was with my ex for a year and nothing like this shown on me or her so i dont think i would have gotten it from her. i havent slept with anyone else either since we split, but yet it still comes back, it was going away over the christmas vaca but started once i got back home and starting to sleep with my gf repeatedly again, is it pimples from not washing RIGHT after, sometimes i just wait till morning, but now im still not having sex and they r still here, maybe from masterbation? pllllzzzzz someone help, it doesnt look like warts and i dont have burning pee or symptoms of herpis, even if someone could tell me all the NON-CUREABLE std's that would be a BIG releif to make sure i dnt have one thank you

Hi everybody,
about 6 months ago i came in contact with herpes to , but not sure how it happen, i had my first outbreak after i had masturbated, first of i think i played with my self a little hard, and i had a little tiny split on my valva , that was a little sore for a couple days, then come the third day i was getting itching , to my shock i new striaght away it was herpes, as i do get cold sores on my lips and i know that tingley sensation , on the forth day i had blister that pop up, i then went to the doc , and yep sure enough it was herpes , i was a mess
Doctores then put me onto famciclovir for five days. but it took about aweek to heal ....
since i was then i had done alot of serching on the net to find out what is the best thing to avoide a outbreak ...
i now take L-lysine , vitamin c , garlic , and zinc complex and have layed of the sugar , i have not had anymore herpes out breaks nor have i had any more cold sores on my lips, so this is working for me
but i took me along time to get my head around around how i got this and how to deal with the emotional stress to ,
but now i have , i seem to be doing ok in this area ..
cheers

To the person saying that you could only get herpes in that area from contact so only through homosexual sex.  This is entirely incorrect.  I know from experience that if you are with a girl who gets very wet, the fluid can leak down into that area.  It could potentially be herpes.  Typically, herpes spread.  If it is just one pimple, it is most likely an infected hair follicle or boil.  Nothing to worry about.

What a homophobe! "It can only be herpes if you've had homosexual anal sex? Since when does bring homosexual automatically mean that ANY weird bump, bruise or lesion a body MUST be an STD? That is so inappropriate and offensive that I can't believe this post was allowed. Of course in you're mind, it couldn't possibly be a boil which are so common for males in that area due to all the sweat, moisture, hair, hair follicles, oil and friction. (Because as a Nurse, this is what I see most often to be mistaken for an STD in my male patients.) AND, FYI, like you, most straight males assume that because they are having straight sex with a female, that they will not get an STD. So they do not practice safe sex. So, guess who most of my STD patients are? STRAIGHT MALES AND FEMALES! There are gay makes that come in with STD's too, but not as many as straight males. So, don't make those ignorant assumptions that because someone has had homosexual anal sex that they MUST have an STD. Because more often than not, it is straight unprotected sex that leads to STD's.

It could be Staphilococus Aureus
This bacteria is usually overlooked and nobody talks about it.
It is arguably also a sexually transmitted disease, although the general documentation will never describe it as such.
You can get it from direct skin to skin contact with someone else, also transmittable through saliva and other body fluids.

Symptoms of this bacteria in the skin :

Folliculitis
White zits that resemble acne
May be confused with Herpes
Will thrive in your nose. Yeah I know that fact is kind of funny.

If you lose the hair where you are getting this blisters, it is most probably Staph.
If dont lose hair, it may be Herpes.

The only way to be sure is going to a lab and ask them to take a swab of your zit, they will have to pop it so they can take a sample of whatever oozes out of it.

You may control both infections.

Staph is difficult to get rid of but it is possible. If your immune system is strong enough it will take care of Staph, but that seldom happens. You would need to bath regularly and be ultra mega clean with your nose, clothes, towels and bed sheets and pillows, and avoid reinfecting yourself with the people you live with. I would not recommend antibiotics as this bacteria will become resistant in a matter of days to any of them.

Herpes, well, you would carry it forever but you can control it, and it usually not a big deal.

Goood job:) how is life now?

Your post literally just made me start breathing again. Same type of situation and I was terrified. Thank you