Hello! Is there anybody who could tell me more about the histamine’s function as a water regulator. Thanks! I have to learn this topic for my exam but I can’t fund suitable answers in the book. Thanx heaps!!!!

Hi there! Here are some facts I found about histamines. Histamine is “ neurotransmitter that regulates water intake and drought management, its high production & release is proportional to water shortage, regulates thirst mechanism to increase water intake, establishes a rationing system for available water during dehydration, is a growth factor in the body. With dehydratation histamine sees that available water is strictly preserved & distributed according to priority of function, increase in water means decrease in histamine - therefore water is a natural antihistamine. Histamine regulates the immune system. Histamine and other water regulators (prostaglandins, kinins, etc) cause pain when they come across pain sensing nerves in the body. Therefore, chronic pain should be translated as a thirst signal.” There, all this info I found online, so maybe you could use some of it. Good luck with your exam!