I am schizophrenic and I am sick and tired of eating drugs every day. I really suffer from their side effects. I wonder if I could quit those medications and switch to something else. I have heard for homeopathic remedies, so I would like to know how they help with schizophrenia. What could you tell me about using homeopathic remedies for my disorder?

I understand your worry because of side effects you might feel of drugs for schizophrenia. What I have to tell you is that with schizophrenia there is some drug therapy that is mandatory and must be taken regularly and precisely. There is no clinical evidence about the effectiveness of homeopathy in treatment of schizophrenia. Neuroleptics are still the best and most effective option in drug treatment. Off course, sometimes homeopathic medicine is employed and cited in literature as an important part of the therapy for severe mental illness including schizophrenia. Homeopathic medicine works by a mechanism of action that is said to tune the patient’s vital force which has become miss-tuned as a result of disease. Anyway, if you are bothered with some side effects of your remedy I would say it’s better to see your doctor. Ask him how you could modify your schizophrenic therapy towards a better compliance with fewer side effects. Don’t forget better co-operation between patient and doctor will give better results in terms of symptom relief and fewer side effects. And don’t forget that drug therapy won’t last forever, so don’t rush for homeopathic drugs.