Ayurvedic texts describe medicinal properties of honey as follows .

“Vaatalam guru sheetam cha raktapittakaphapaham |
Sandhatru cchedanam ruksham kashayam madhuram madhu ||”

Honey aggravates vata. But alleviates pitta, rakta and kapha. According to ayurveda principles acne and pimples are caused by vitiation of rakta, pitta and kapha. As honey balances vitiated rakta, pitta and kapha, its external application helps to reduce acne and pimples. In the above verse it has been said that honey is an excellent promoter of healing process (sandhatru).Inflamed acne and pimples get healed very quickly when honey is applied externally. Its antimicrobial properties help to accelerate healing process.

As honey exhibits astringent (kashayam) properties its external application helps to tighten the pores created by acne and pimple. Its heaviness (guru) and cold (sheeta) properties help to increase the moisture level of skin. This helps to prevent wrinkles. Honey helps to increase moistness of dry skin.

Honey has another excellent property of drying extra oil secretion. It scrapes the excess oil secretion without stripping the natural oil of skin. Persons with Oily skin can take advantage of this quality of honey.

Honey face pack: Apply two tea spoons of honey all over face and neck and leave it for 20 minutes. Wash this off with cold water. This increases glow and fairness of skin.

Hi Savitha! this is really fascinating to read about honey. I have never used it, but a friend of mine swears by honey face masks becasue she thinks it cleans her skin up and works really well for her. Do you think that there's anything in there about fordyce spots or anything like that in ayuerveda? I think that would be helpful to know.

Hi

Applying honey on fordyce spots regularly helps to reduce it as honey has scraping properties. Few of my patients say that they are benifited by this .

Wow, I did not know that honey would aslo help with that too! Thanks for letting me know. Do you recommend a specific type of honey or does it even matter? I know there's not a wide variety of honeys out there but if there is a difference in the type that I should use, let me know. Thanks!

Yes, you can use honey as a beauty treatment at home. By mixing honey up with sodium bicarbonate (aka baking soda), you can create a fabulous natural scrub to get rid of rough, dry skin. Take two parts honey and one part baking soda and gently rub on your face in a circular motion. Rinse.