This is a spin off from the thread about using baking soda as a natural alternative to deodorant. I was quite surprised (and shocked!) to hear that some people who have tried baking soda as deodorant got bad skin reactions!

This led me to wonder what non-baking soda deodorant recipes that you can make on your own might be a better fit for people with more sensitive skin. I'm also wondering what people used for deodorant before deodorant really became a thing. Perhaps we can get our inspiration there? In any case, nobody wants irritated, painful skin as a side effect of deodorant. So what are the natural deodorant options that do not inflame your skin?

Celebrity

Hey,

I have seen natural deodorant recipes without baking soda around before. They tend to include coconut oil, beeswax, shea butter, and essential oils like peppermint oil and lavender. Sure, peppermint smells nice and fresh, and lavender has some antibacterial properties, but it essentially sounds like a fancy moisturizer or body cream, not like a deodorant! 

If you want something natural that does not irritate the skin, I would point you to crystal deodorant sticks. They work — quite well, not brilliantly well. They last forever, and you do not have to make anything yourself. I have never heard that crystal deodorant sticks irritate anyone's skin. 

Rosie

Homemade deodorant CAN work!

I have been using 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 6 tbsp of coconut oil and a number of drops of tea tree oil as needed for ages now. I wasn't sure how well this natural deodorant would work when I first started making it, but the baking soda helps minimize odors, the coconut oil hydrates, the cornstarch soaks up moisture and the tea tree oil has antibacterial properties. And it really does do a good job. On top of that, it's easy to make and the coconut oil facilitates a solid like state that allows for easy rub on as well.

Use Coconut oil for deodorant, it works great and is perfect for sensitive skin

Can you really use just coconut oil and nothing else as a deodorant? I know the theory is that because coconut oil is antibacterial, it will protect against odors, but does one really follow from the other? My take is that coconut oil may be a wonderful ingredient in stick deodorants, but that you can't possibly use it by itself. I know that I get pretty darn sweaty and the only deodorants I've really found to work for me are heavy duty ones... I've ever considered asking my doctor about prescription antiperspirants. It's that bad. So let's face it, just coconut oil as a deodorant isn't for people like me, right?

Yeah no, that don't apply to me either. Not at all. I use Nivea Stress Protect deodorant with zinc and that's really the only formula that I've found keeps me relatively stink free, and by relatively I mean just that... say if I throw my clothes off at the end of the day and smell them three days later as I'm about to fling em in the washing machine, yeah, they do stink, not the trousers but the shirts for sure. I honestly think I might have hyperhidrosis. That's not hyperbole, I really think so. I'm finally at the stage where I accept that as reality rather than being embarrassed by the smell. But anyways, natural deodorants aren't meant for people like us, are they???

I used Nivea deodorant previously and I found that it attracted the flies. Use a solution of lemon juice in spermacetti to keep feeling fresh all day long.

Natural is best. Use potassium permanganate solution in a solution of glycerine and you will catch on fire. I would therefor favour something simple like an iodine run.

Celebrity
Aesthetics matter too, especially to those of us who prefer to wear short sleeved tops or tops with no sleeves during warmer weather! I have never heard of iodine as a natural deodorant, but if it works, I do know from when I used it on my child's umbilical cord stump that it leaves a visible, brown colored, trace. Not appealing!

Crystal deodorant sticks, on the other hand, leave no trace at all. They are a perfectly natural method to de-odor yourself and keep you fresh as well, and of course you can always add some drops of essential oil diluted in water if you wish.

Rosie

I did used to make my own facial cream and body lotion, and it was fun! But I have never made my own deodorant. And I don't actually know what ingredients you should use. But I can imagine that you can use some of that crystal deodorant stuff. You know how they periodically smash to pieces on the bathroom floor? I suggest when that happens, crush it to a powder and add some hydrating ingredients, like coconut oil, and some essential oils. That way you got yourself a fancy natural deodorant and you avoid wasting your crystal deodorant that has broken.