This last winter was stressful for me - my FIL was diagnosed with cancer, my son just started high school, and we're running a small business. With all of that, I have been under immense stress and look like I haven't slept in a year or so :@. Now that spring has started, I'm, well, tired of looking tired and really want to revitalize my skin somehow. I've heard a lot of great things about Manuka Honey. Also some bad things, about more Manuka Honey being sold than being produced, which means that some of the products sold as Manuka Honey are fake. With all this in mind I'm wondering what I should look for with Manuka Honey and how I should use it once I get it. 

TIA

I've been very interested in this as well, but find it all quite confusing. The main thing I have learned is that there's a UMF® label that certifies that the manuka honey is authentic, but even then, even when it's real manuka honey, there are apparently huge differences in quality. I am also not sure how important the actual quality is for things like skincare. For wound care it would matter more I think. People also use normal honey in skincare and it's fine I think. Anyway, I don't know but would be interested in seeing more replies as well.

Celebrity

Is Manuka honey truly special, or is the recent promotion of this type of honey just another marketing fad, aimed at making money? I have read into this a little here and there, and though I know about the UMF, and that Manuka honey has higher concentrations of microbe-killing ingredients, I am not convinced that it is always best. I'm someone who regularly uses honey masks on my skin. Frankly, I choose to go with locally sourced raw organic honey because I know the sellers and there is less potential for fiddling, I think. Not just Manuka honey, but all kinds of honeys are actually not real. I go for substance rather than marketing. 

Rosie

You have heard about the potency of tea tree oil as an acne treatment, and of the potency of honey as an antibacterial treatment for your skin, right? Not all that many people actually know that the two combine. That is right, manuka honey is honey created by bees who use the tea tree. The UMF is the Unique Manuka Factor. You need a factor of 10 upwards to benefit for anti-acne properties. More is better, but can be pricey. You do get a lot of honey. A pound isn't negligible at all. It beats pretty much anything else for spot correction of acne.

I'm a bit embarrassed to comment on threads like this 'cause not only do I not know about Manuka Honey beyond some really general stuff like it's good for wound healing, I am also not so sure what's great about honey for the face anyways and how you can use it except for those masks I read about here. Can anyone perhaps tell me more about this, Rosie perhaps or someone else? Say you get a jar of this great Manuka Honey, you wanna use it for your skin, now what do you actually use it for? Make creams or what?

Why use manuka honey on your skin? Because it is awesome for treating acne, awesome for increasing cell turnover and making your skin look radiant, awesome for the hydration your skin needs no matter who you are, and awesome at treating and preventing wrinkles as well. In addition to a manuka honey skin mask, you can also use it to make a skin cleanser or just as spot treatment when you have pimples. It is pricey, but no more so than other high-end skin products!

Cool! Thanks for sharing that! So if you were to use manuka honey as a spot treatment for acne (which I'm definitely interested in doing), how long would you really leave it on and does it really work? Also can you use any old honey or is there really something special about Manuka in this regard? I like the thought of a home made cleanser as well, so I shall Google this and see what I can come up with... cheers.

Manuka honey has special antimicrobial properties because it contains antibacterial methylglyoxal. Though this is found in all types of honey, there is much more in Manuka than in other forms, up to 100 times more. This MG kills many different bacteria including some really nasty ones, which is exactly what makes Manuka honey so suitable not just as a natural wound healing compress, for which it is used in hospitals, but also as a skincare ingredient. If you suffer from blemished skin and especially acne, it's wonderful! Even if you just want to look younger, Manuka honey can help you out. 

The only thing to watch out for is authenticity — much more "Manuka" is being sold than actually produced, so fakes are definitely out there. 

I have been browsing around the "Manuka Doctor" website with great interest! The Drops Of Crystal Cashmere Touch Cream is something that has especially peeked my interest, but all the products look wonderful and downright luxurious. The price range is like that of any higher end skincare manufacturer, but those don't offer the wonderful medicinal benefits of Manuka Honey, do they??

If anybody reading here as used the Manuka Doctor range before, I would really like to hear from you, though I think I am going to go and buy some things anyway.