I’m 55 and had hysterectomy a month ago. Few days ago I have started having hot flashes, like in menopause. Are they due to hysterectomy or what? How long will I have to suffer them? Please post.

Hot flashes are due to lack of oestrogen. They occur when ovaries are removed. Hot flashes usually last about year, year and a half. Ovaries are responsible for hormone production; uterus has a little to do with it. Hope that helped.

Hi Folks: I'm 51 and had a total hysterectomy when I was 45. To date, I still have obnoxious hot flashes. It's been miserable!! With a combination of an anti-depressant (oh yes, depression kicked in after also!!) and an hrt, I have my decent times. Although, after a while of any one combination, the flashes start escalating again -- then onto another combination! At any rate, I'm thrilled for others who've had a shorter time experience, but WOULD LOVE to hear from anyone with thoughts and/or suggestions.
Thanks and take care.

It's been 22 years since I had my hysterectomy and I have good days and bad, I've tried everything under the sun and still have hot flashes.I am 54 years old and will keep trying until the right product comes along.I believe each woman is different and it sure feels good to know that I can tell you all about this and you know I'm not crazy.....thanks for letting me tell my story.

I was looking for information on how long hot flashes last after hysterectomy because mine have been going on for 10 years. I thought this unusual but looks like probably not. Now I am depressed :-(

I am only 6 days out from a complete hysterectomy and cannot tell if I am starting to get hot flashes or not . . . so far not too severe, but I am getting sweating at night. I am 35 and elected to get this done to lower cancer risk that runs in my family.

About when do the symptoms start? Is it too soon already? I haven't seen anywhere that tells when to start expecting them . . .

Search the Internet for foods that trigger hot flashes. I have cut out alot of things that they say trigger them and it has helped. Also stress is a culpurt too. ;-)

I had my hysterectomy 2yrs. ago at 37.My hot flashes started before I left the hospital. I appeared to have stop them about year ago but there back and worse. Any thoughts on that.

Had a complete Hyst. 3 yrs ago. Have nothing left. I had stage 4 endo. all over my bowels and uterus. Taking NO hormones. Do not want them. I was very estrogen dominate.
My hot flashes have never stopped. They started hours after my surgery.
I instantly get one when I get upset. Married with 3 kids 10-16 yrs old so I can get upset alot...lol.
I can feel them start.. it is like a really warm feeling in my stomach that spreads and them I have one. If I am woken up suddenly in the middle of the night..bam it starts. My gyn. says they should be done by now. Granted he is a man.. %-)
But reading here I see I am not alone. Thank God ;-)
I swear some days in the winter I could run naked thru the yard to cool off. XD
Well..thats all ..Stay Cool!! :-D

i dont know much about when to expect symptoms to start. what i want to advise all women that have this proceedure, is to be very aware of the possible feelings of severe depression. my girlfriend has a total hysterectomy and 5 days later drove her car of a cliff and into the ocean in bodega bay. she survived, but with a broken back and possibly two years before she can walk again if ever. she was great before the surgery. HRT is usually not a good choose when you had cancer in the first place. please get all the information you can before surgery, and be fully prepared. god luck and god bless

i had a hysterectomy 5 years ago and it seems my hot flashes are getting worse. how long are we suppose to have hot flashes?

Hi! I actually feel so much better after reading these posts. I thought I was all alone in my suffering! I started having very, very severe hot flashes within 2 hours of my hysterectomy! I was 34 years old at the time. They immediately started me on HRT, which I'd been on for about 7 years. Finally, I really read the information on what ingredients are in the HRT. I weaned myself off of them. I felt absolutely fine for two to three months. Then, WOW and WHAM, the hot flashes came back so severely that at times I'm afraid I'll actually pass-out! I am researching other "natural" treatments, but an not sure what to try. Any suggestions? Also, I wake up out of a sound sleep (several times nightly) just minutes before the "flash" (which is about 3 to 5 minutes long) starts. I lay there thinking to myself, why am I awake? and then it starts. I am very, very tired of these episodes. Anyway, thank you for sharing your stories and making me know that I'm not alone. :$

I had a complete hysterectomy in November 1997 and the hot flashes have never stopped. I have them at night so bad that I wake up wanting to change the sheets.

I take a very low dose estrace. I tried to quit taking it one time and thought I would die. The hot flashes got worse and I wan't getting any sleep at all. Even with the low dose I still have the flashes and wonder if they will ever stop.

I laughed at the post that said she wanted to run outside naked in winter. I have stood on my porch and raised my shirt up (we live on a 200 acre farm) and steam came off my body. No kidding.

so having a hysterectomy was i guess not the best thing i did. hot flashes are bad, every night driving my spouse insane

I am 16 years post TOTAL hysterectomy and have been on a HRT until about 6 months ago. The hot Flashes are getting worse by the day, and now disrupting my sleep very badly! Will the time come that they go away? I know they end with menopause but is it different with the HYST?