Hi. I'm 34 yrs old female and I would like to discuss some things with people who maybe have more experience with this.
About three months ago, after years of pelvic pain problems, I had an operation called partial hysterectomy. I was diagnosed with some condition called endometriosis and operation was my only option. Now, three months after surgery my pain become history and all problems connected with this. But there is one problem. I'm feeling quite depressed all this time after operation.
I don’t know is this connected with surgery and removing of my uterus but I started to suffer from diminished interest in activities, decrease in appetite, and serious body weight loss.
Please tell me, what is going on with me!

Hi. I would really like to help you because believe me- I know what you re going through right now. About five years ago I also had this operation and, like you, I felt pretty hopeless after operation.
I suffered from sleep disturbance, decreased libido, lack of energy and thoughts of death or suicide. Of course, I contacted my GP again to see what he can do about this.
He told me just that there is actually little evidence to suggest a direct connection between having a hysterectomy and developing depression. I couldn’t believe! So I have decided to some things on my own. I started to use some antidepressants and join one support group which was recommended to me by my psychiatrist. After a month or so, I was feeling much better and I started to live normally again.

I have endo. also. I am facing surgery in 2 weeks. I will tell you the longer you have the disease the worse it gets. I have tried all the options that have been offered nothing worked for me. I am in the final stage of endo. I believe due to my symptoms. I have hot flashes, night sweats, loss of appetite, pain in my back, severe cramps with bleeding. I have been treated for 9 years & hope the surgery will work for me.
If you were still wanting to have children that can cause the depression, not sure if you already knew that or not.
I also hope it will help with my migraines. Just to let you know surgery is my last resource & am nervous, with they could do it laproscopic.
Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

about 4 years ago I had a hysterectomy, they left my right ovary. Now the endo is back and I have cysts on my only ovary.
I made the descision to have surgery one more time, I am nervous though.

Has anyone out there been through this and can tell me how they feel now??

I am having a laperostic hysterectomy on Feb 20 and I am removing everything except cervix. I have endometriosis and a history of ovarian cysts and fibriods so chose to remove ovaries and uterus. I am keeping my cervix as some believe it may have some sexual function and has a very low chance of cervical cancer with annual pap smears. My doctor has stressed that if you can stay off of any type of hormones after surgery for 4-6 months it gives the endometriosis nothing to feed on and therefore dies. The endo will attach to other areas such as bowels, intestine, cervix and even though you have removed the source, the uterus and ovaries some endo may remain. I am nervous about not having any hormones for that period of time. After the 6 months she suggests treating me like a 36 year old and doing some low form of hormones like the Nuva ring until a time that I would be actually in menopause around 50 or so. I have a friend that is very anti-hormones because she claims Hormone Replacement therapy is why she got breast cancer. I will not be doing any type of oral hormone.

Hi There.
I have just gone through a complete hysterectomy (Dec 7/07) due to large tumors growing on my ovaries. this was caused by endmetriosis. I was full of it and almost lost my life on the table!!! Pretty serious stuff.!!! But I feel great and have no side effects. I've been on Estrogel - estrogen replacement to help with mood swings,depression, bone loss etc.... If you had a complete hysterectomy I would recommend you talk to your doctor about the estrogen replacement. I feel absolutely great and don't regret the surgery at all.

I have been researching this for quite some time and I am amazed at the number of ob/gyns who contend that depression after hysterectomy is not connected to the surgery. Of course it is! A hysterectomy is the ultimate violation of a woman's body. Did you know that most hysterectomies are totally unnecessary? When I expressed my feelings to my dr after she performed the surgery on me for heavy bleeding, she said, "oh well, hindsight is 20/20". I just love how they hide behind the fact that they are a dr to justify everything they do.

There is nothing that I, or you, can do to change the situation. But see a therapist who specializes in women's issues. They may be able to help you come to terms with this untimely loss. Anti-depressants can help, but they are not a long term solution.

For anyone contemplating surgery, be sure you have ALL the facts on the possible consequences of having your sex organs removed. My dr told me I would feel so much better. That was a lie. 8 months after the fact, I am still miserable. My life is irreversibly damaged. Get the facts before you make your decision. I wish I had.

I had a COMPLETE hysterectomy in 2000(I was 35) and I too became quite depressed, my DR explained the hormonal embalance...and prescribed hormone meds and an anti-depressant. It took almost 18 months before we found a proper dosage for me. Thoughts of suicide, lost interest in EVERYTHING, couldn't go to work, slept all the time and when i was awake I cried non stop! I thank God I found a good DR that helped me through this...I have heard horror stories. I also journal and see a Counsellor twice a month. My husband is extremely supportive. Today life is awesome :-) It does get better ladies.

I had the 'recommended' COMPLETE hysterectomy in 2004 (age 44) for endless heavy bleeding and clotting. They thought I might bleed to death. I wasn't really excited about surgically changing my body, but went ahead due to what seemed like no options. Anyhow, I can't take HRT because of a history of breast cancer in my family, so I looked for options. I found a miracle natural alternative called 'Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy Pellets'. They are wonderful....! The only problem I still have today is problems with depression. I'm not sure if that's related to the hysterectomy or just this stage in life in general. But the pellets correct EVERY other symptom... (sex drive!, sleeplessness, night sweats, hot flashes, sore and stiff joints, migraines, numbness in my arms and legs during sleep, etc.) I had all the symptoms! They stay gone as long as I continue on the natural hormone pellets. The website is **edited by moderator**
Check it out ladies! This has been around for over 30 years but no one tells us about because they'd rather make money selling us every prescription drug they can! It cost me about $300, takes about 5 minutes to insert the pellets under the skin on my rump, and lasts about 4-6 months. Hope this helps someone else; Pass this one. It's the best known secret about hormone treatment for menopause. I've been on them for about 5 years now and will never use anything else. Now, to find a fix for my depression... :)

hi there, can someone out there help with some questions i need answering, i had a total hysterectomy 4 weeks ago, ive just turned 40, i had both my ovarys removed as well so now iam on hrt patches which i seem to be getting on with ok, the only problem iam finding is i have the odd day where ive got period pain like aches, ive not got any discharge or no bleeding, i just wondering are these aches and pains normal? i know ive not long had the surgery but i keep getting told different things, so id like someone with experience to let me know if this is normal? i get so fed up cause most days i feel fine then like today i have these aches and pains, it gets me down and i worry incase theres something going on inside that i cant see or know about. can anyone put my mind at rest???

I was given an unnecessary hysterectomy and it's ruined my life and my sex life. I wish I had known about the HERS Foundation on the web before this happened to me. It's the only place where you can get the correct information about the side effects and consequences of hysterectomy. Doctors don't tell you that it increases your risk of osteoporosis, heart disease, dementia, etc. The HERS Foundation has a Female Anatomy video that explains it all. Check out their blog too, to see what other women are saying.

Thanks for letting us know it will get better. I had a partial hysterectomy in December 2008 due to fibriods, painful periods. I thought I had all the information and my dr., who was just so wonderful to me said I will feel like a completely new person. I did for about 3 weeks after the surgery, I felt so depressed, usually in the winter months I'd get depressed, but this was different, plus I was place on Depo Provera which likely made the depression worse. In any case, I started using a light box and within 3 days I was better, happy and happy with my decision to have the surgery. In July however, it suddenly hit me that I am missing something. I felt so depressed and dejected for about a week. This too went away, maybe because I hadn't admitted I regret having the surgery and the depo was just starting to wear out of my system. For me the Dr. didn't say it was my only option, although I had tried all kinds of birth control especially depo, they all made me more depressed. In fact I bleed the entire year I was on depo prior to my hysterectomy. So the Drs and my family weren't successful in talking me into taking any more BC, I was dead on having the surgery. Anyway, the reason I looked up this forum is just a few days ago the feeling of loss and regret swept over me, but I don't know what to do. I haven't been sleeping well. In fact last night I didn't sleep at all. It is hard for me to accept because not only do I feel like part of me is missing, I may have to consider taking depo provera again because according to the dr. I may need a colostomy bag if I start having pain again because of endometriosis, which I had no idea I had before the surgery. I taught it was just fibroids. The only benefit from the surgery is I am not bleeding and in pain every month. I feel like I will rather have my old pain back, because this depression is so much more painful, I have never felt anything like this before. This one I can't run from, I have to face it because there absolutely nothing I can do about it. This morning I decided to take the antidepressant the dr. gave me since january (wellbutrin), I really hope to stop feeling this way soon.

For some uplifting words, I read somewhere, don't hesitate to cry and grief because this is an emotional wound, you have to take care of it so it can heal just like you would a physical wound. Please take care of your selves ladies, I am trying hard to eat, but it very had to swallow, but I will make sure I clean my plate. I will also make sure I take good care of myself, and do all my daily chores and work. Take care girls. And thank's again catalina, I am counting on your words. Anyone please feel free to respond to this. Thank you all for sharing.

I too have had a total hysterectomy two years ago. I have been going through councelling to help with the depression that followed-I am now 40 and was unable to have children before my surgery. I am now living with alot of unanswered questions..and being childless. (adoption is not an option with my commonlaw as he has 3 children all adults from a previous marriage)
Bone issues have been a problem...but I am trying to slowly work my way through it.
I would definitely be aggressive in exhausting all other options if faced with this surgery now...
I wish all of you peace with what you are going through... I understand. xo ;-)

Don't miss the Dr. Oz show tomorrow, February 25th. The show is called "The #1 surgery you don't need, hysterectomy."