this is probably a dumb question but how long does insulin last out of teh fridge?  I opened my insulin about a week ago and forgot it was in my backpack so its been out for 1 week.  Is it still good? 

Yes, it still should be good as long as it had not been exposed to extreme temperatures.  Once it's open, it needs to be used up in 30 days.  Insulin vials that have not been opened are good until their expiration date.  You may want to watch that you follow those guidelines so that your insulin stays good.  Insulin will particles or crystals in it should be discarded. 

Store your insulin at room temperature or refrigerate if desired.  It will keep at room temperature, but keep it out of direct sunlight or the freezer.  You need to find a good area to keep it safe. 

Where does everyone else store their insulin vials?  What do you do to ensure it stays good?  Many people do not know to keep their insulin properly stored.  It is very important to maintain its integrity so that it works effectively in the body.  Another thing to remember is to be careful when mixing insulins, if you have to.  The cloudy insulin should be the last to be drawn up when mixing insulins.

I like to put my insulin in my purse to carry it around with me because it is convenient to do it this way.  I sometimes draw up my insulin in a needle and carry with me that way so that I have it all ready to go.  I don't like having to draw up insulin in public so it's easier to do it this way.  Does anyone else do this, too?  Is it ok for me to prepare my insulin like this?  I imagine it should be fine but I just want to make sure.  Thank you for any suggestions!