Hi, I am finally off suboxone. I never thought I could make it. But, it finally happened. I am not dependant on anything, in the end.

Hi, it is very important when you are stopping Suboxone or Subutex, to follow your condition since many withdrawal symptoms may occur. These drugs can cause dependence, and withdrawal symptoms are quit severe if the medicine is suddenly stopped. Since buprenorphine is a partial agonist, withdrawal symptoms are not so severe like with methadone. These drugs are not for irregular use and must be applied as suggested by doctor. The usual approach is to reduce the dosage gradually, in order to avoid or minimize withdrawal symptoms.

I was on Suboxone for over 3 years. My dosage started out at 16mg per day, then increased to 32mg per day. The Doctor that I was seeing was way too easy, he was only in it for the money. I could practically get almost anything that I wanted out of him. Valium, you want it-you got it. This is not something that you do to treat an addict.
I had several friends that were also seeing the same Doctor, they too could get whatever they wanted out of him. We were all on Lortab and Percocet prior to the Suboxone and became very well versed on how to con Doctors into prescribing whatever we wanted. So I can't blame the Suboxone Doctor entirely, as an addict I was mostly at blame.
Now to getting off of Suboxone, this is how I finally did it. I tapered myself down to 4mg per day over a 1 month period. Once I was at 4mg per day, I maintained that dosage for 2 weeks. On the first day of the third week, I cut back to 2mg per day. On the first day of the 4th week, I started taking 2mg every other day. I did this for about a week and a half. It was hell, but the worst was yet to come. Going Cold Turkey off Suboxone was the worst experience in my life. After 2 weeks, it started to ease up. Finally after 1 month things got better. I can now sleep, eat and function normally.

My advice to anyone seeking Suboxone as way way out is to seek out a Doctor that will give you a set timeframe for your treatment. NA should also be a condition of treatment. I have done much research on this and combined with personal experience, this treatment should not last over 45 days. Suboxone is as addictive as Methadone. It may be easier for some to get off of as others, but it is still pure hell to get off of.

Now that the law has changed and Doctors do not have the 30 patient limit anymore, you are going to start to see more Doctors approved to write it. This is going to open the door to even more abuse.

Good Luck To All. Please do not let me discourage anyone from treatment, Just be careful. If you are seeking Suboxone, you obviously have an addiction issue and Suboxone is addictive as well. It is not the wonder drug that many claim it to be. Your treatment is only as good as you and your Doctor make it out to be. NA is helpful, there are chapters everywhere these days.

i have been on suboxone in the past, went back on painkillers, and have been back on suboxone since the last two months. gotta say, though. i went off suboxone cold turkey years ago after starting 2 years before that on 40 mg/day, and just felt when i needed to reduce the dose on my own, as you begin to get a headache if you are on too much suboxone. now, when i went off suboxone years ago, my meds were stolen, and i dropped down to nearly 100 lbs.(i am 5'9"), almost died, was in hospital for 2 weeks, and my dopamine receptors never figured out how to make their own dopamine again, for i spent a year, putting my heels in the ground, saying, "it's gotta get better, it's gotta go back to normal, i have to be able to sleep again, i've come so far, yada, yada", however, it never went back to normal. i didn't sleep for a year, couldn't eat, out of my mind. so now that i am back on suboxone, i feel i am stuck for life, for i will never put myself through that misery again. by 6 months into suboxone therapy the last time, i was down to taking a quarter of an 8mg sublingual per day, and continued on that minimal dose for the duration. so, you, who are now free from all of these meds, please tell me how long it took you for your body to regulate your sleep and body temperature? also, did suboxone cause weight loss for you? i lost a ton of weight on it, and i must say that was my favorite part of it! so happy for your full recovery! please write back with any knowledge you can pass on!

I have been taking Suboxone for the past year and a half, I've only been taking about 2mil. a day for the past year. Wondering will the withdrawals be as bad as coming off of methadone? Any advise? Should i just keep weining myself down until i can't anymore??
Let me know please & thanks! :?

I am so glad to find this site - I have been on S for 6 months - started with 8mg and cut myself back faster than the d was telling me to - I have gotten down to 2mgs every other day and decided to see if I could go without. I can't believe how bad the withdrawal hits me on day 5. I am fine for the first 2 days, achy and sweaty day 3 and 4 but day 5 I can't function. The axniety i s unbearable to the point I feel like I am going to stop breathing, my heart races and the aching in my legs keeps me from getting compfortable in any possition. I have to break down and take 1mg and surprize surprize, I can function again. I feel so stupid - I should have just gone through the original problem -vicodin withdrawal( 3 to 4 days from what I've read) and been done with it.
I have felt for a long time that the d was keeping me on this stuff - and now I am so frightened that I won't be able to stop. Can't ask him of course -
Can anyone suggest something to help - cleases? suppliments? anything?

:cry: Wow, now I am very depressed reading these Sub forums. I have been procrastinating reading up on its withdrawal until now. I knew it would be enlightening, but not reassuring.

I've been on Suboxone for about a year now, in which I had originally promised myself (after all the negative things I've read on Sub) that I would only be on it a month or less. In the beginning, I had read that its NOT a good thing to stay on Sub longer than that. Due to the endless w/d symptoms, much longer than average narcotics anyhow.

So I started out at 16mg's a day, and that was giving me bad headaches. So I started taking just 8mg's after about 2-3 weeks. Well, I have found that even if I just taper to 6mg's a day that my body notices the difference. But what I WANT and NEED to do is "play" with dosages and see how long I can go without and at what low mg I can get away with.

My conclusions in reading forums *****
is that a taper isnt all that hellish until tapering to about 2mg. I am NOT going to put myself through w/d's of the kinds I had with Hydrocodone and Soma!!! If I have to work just to keep myself in Suboxone, then so be it. Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of having insurance or even prescription coverage, but am getting a $60 a month discount off of my Sub scripts with a prescription card I found online.

I am living in fear that I will never be able to function normally again without Sub. And even after a YEAR it doesn't work the same anymore anyhow. It was a G-d send in the beginning. I am getting tolerant now. Anybody else experienced this or have your teeth been going bad rapidly? Also, my vision is getting blurry. This I'm not sure is a side-effect though. But the teeth thing is unusual for me, cause I've never had problems until after a few months on Suboxone! :(

**edited by moderator**

im also currently trying to get off subs. my so called doctor wanted me to be on it for like 8 months plus never really giving me the time of day unless i had $200 then he would give me 2 min and another script. ive been on them just past 2 months and just started going from 2mg a day to 1mg. which was actually easy in comparison to me just trying to stop at 2mg. i lasted 3 days then cracked and took a 1mg. i was pissed at myself but damn when ur in so much pain its hard. i know its gotta come eventually so im not trying to drag it out too long. im gonna do 1mg for about a week and try to stop. the weird thing was on 2 mg i didnt feel that bad for 3 days. i tried to go as long as possible on the one before dosing and barely got a day n a half! im so disgusted. why give us a drug to help with wd if the subs are goin to be just as bad and LONGER! can someone please tell me how long they think my wds will last-a week? 2? i dont know if i can do more than a week without it at least easing up!

goingdownhill wrote:

My conclusions in reading forums *****

**edited by moderator**

:twisted:

First, I have a lot of experience in this dept. Stop being so hard on your self. You could be missing a chemical in your body and so far in your life there has been no doctor figure that out. If you can go 2 or three days without and then 4th and 5th need it it's because you have that chemical imbalance. I tried to numb myself all my life and now at age 33 I realize I will take Suboxone for the rest of my life because this med controls that imbalance. If you want to talk more let me know

I am also trying to get off Suboxone, this is not the first time. I have been taking for a year, starting at 8, then 4, then 2. The last pill I took was 5 days ago - I still feel awful. The drug has such a high half-life you don't go into wd for 3 days, but you will on the fourth. I am so uncomfortable, anxious, unable to sleep, unable to function at all basically. I went to my doctor today and he gave me some ativan, clonidine, and ambien. I took some of the ativan and clonidine and a took a NAP, it was awesome., first time a slept in almost a week.

One of my biggest problems is that I am not hungry, I have to force food down.

I have gotten of suboxone before, but clearly not for long. I have learned that this is a marathon, getting off opiates, and you jut have to force yourself to get up and get things done or you will waste away. I am supposed to be moving and I keep telling myself I will make up tom and feel better, but more than likely I will not, I am not going to have to push myself - or I will never get better.

If anyone has any tips for dealing with withdrawls I would love to hear them.

Guest who tapered back to 2mg of Suboxone every other day for a week and a half and then stopped. You said it was pretty rough when you stopped altogether. Do you think it may have worked better to taper back to 2mg every other day for a week, then every 3rd day for a week and so on till you had no need on the day you were dur to take it? I'm in the process of trying to get off this stuff myself and went from 32mg a day to 16 and now 12, in 2 1/2 months.

Ok i know u wrote this a few months ago and i was looking an answer about if i can take ambien while im on suboxone but........I saw ur post and i thought it was just me but....
my teeth are falling apart my eyes hurt so bad sometimes i cant see right.

I dont know what to do i have been on suboxone for 3 years and i went on it because my doc. told me it would be better to help me get of the herion. but to be honest with you i would have reather went to throught the heroin withdraw because my doc. never told me it was going to be this bad.

I cant not get off suboxone! i really trully mean that my doc. told me i was not ready yet to get off it after 3 year and i said u know what i want off this sh*t i wanted to stop doing drugs but instead im dependant on something else.

soo i do it my self for 4 months i weined myself off it i was fine my first 3 days with out the suboxone. then it was all down hill i kept telling myself i will get throught this a month goes by with out me being on suboxone and i had to quit my job i could not walk or see but i stuck through it 2 months went by i still fee like this i cant f*****g walk im 23 years old and i cant walk after being off this sh*t for 3 months i gave in and took my first pill 10 min. later im walking
this sh*t is screwed up i will be on suboxone for the rest of my life because some dip sh*t doc. told me this was a cure so he can have my money.
i cant lie suboxone helps me function like a normal person and not like a drug addict but its not worth loseing my ability to walk with out it. im scared because my body is starting to fall apart and i dont know what to do is there a way out cuz ill talk it as long as i can walk at the end of the day.

i have been taking subutex since may so about 8 months, i was only on 2 mgs a day. i tried to go cold turkey in November and it was the worst!!!! On day 2 i was so fatigued and sweating that i could not hardly move.

my doc had given me a script for 90 and told me if i had to come back then i would have to go to rehab,which with a 4 yr, 2 jobs, and college, was not possible.

so i had a friend who was also on subutex, when i was so bad, on day 2, she gave me some, and then we worked it out that she would help me once every two weeks, with meds.

that was in November, 2 weeks ago we had a big fight, so again, today is Day 2 of no subs.

The difference about in November and now, is that this time, i actually weened from less than 2mg a day to just crumbs each day, i did that for 2 weeks. yesterday i felt okay, today has been harder. i find my self wanting to have a drink to ease the sweats and body aches.

i am confident that I will completely recover from this. if anyone has any suggestions or advice, please write back :-D

I was on Suboxen for 4 years, not prescribed by a doctor to me, but to my Ex boyfriend. I took it everyday usually about 8mg a day towards the end it was about 4 mg a day. Before taking Suboxen I was addicted to Oxycontins mostly but whatever I could get that would do the trick I would take for about 3 years. I can tell you that Suboxen is a good medicaton for those who take it correctly, I on the other hand would use it Interveniously. So it was more about getting my fix then getting better. After almost 4 years I met someone else and me and my current Ex. Broke up, my current BF also takes suboxen but he would take his exact dose sublingualy everyday. I didnt tell him I was taking it then and then I found out I was pregnant. But I had stopped taking Subs. at this point anyways which was hell for a few nights but went away. Then I had a miscarrige a couple months later, got REALLY depressed and went back on Subs. I started using them interveniously again and then my boyfriend caught me! So I stopped using them that way and started taking them by mouth whenever I needed it( he didn't know that) So then he asked me if I was taking them still and I said yes but wasnt using them like I was and he said either go to the doctor and get them or get out, and you can't blame him for being upset about all the lying. But I couldn't go to the doctors and get them cause I am not working and I don't have insurance so I quite cold turkey cause i didn't want to loose him!!! WHAT HELL I WENT THROUGH this time!! I was fine for a couple days then it hit me HARD!! I was so sick the worst was the muscle pains in my legs and arms that killed me and then it was not sleeping a wink, and going c**p like crazy! the worst was the leg pains for me! I had to do something to know I wouldn't give in a take a sub. so as crazy as it sounds I kept a sub. on me for 9 days I knew I had it but I knew i couldn't take it. I just kept telling myself I would get through it and I DID! I am on day 13 of being SOBER and It was the hardest thing I ever did! I would ANYDAY go through the WD of Oxys then through this sh*t! I am just starting to feel better and can sleep better I still wake up sometimes with pains in my legs but I deal with it, take Tylenol PM to help me sleep. I also took some of a friends Wellbutrin ( I do not recommend this to someone who doesn't take it) and I think it helped me with the muscle pains but it made me so shacky I couldn't keep taking it!I recommend to anyone who tires to get off this sh*t to tapper down on your dose, and if you have to do it cold turkey you can, if I can you can! its not easy but that is the price I had to pay for using it for 4 years! there is hope just keep your heads up and do what you have to do, but thats my story hope it will help someone get through it :-)