I know that if you take suboxone when you still have opiates in your system you will withdrwal. What I want to know is how long do i need to wait to take suboxone after using opiates so I don't feel the sick symptoms ?

anewbeginingtoday14 wrote:

Hi there,
There are so many blogs and posts about this. Everybody is slightly different so some people have a few hours difference, but I will tell you what I know from dealing with myself and a lot of other people in this same predicament. I just actual got out of the hospital. I had 3 surgeries done on Aug. 12th, 2011. I have been clean for about 7b years now off heroin, but I started Suboxone about 1 1/2 years ago for my chronic chest pain for my very high anxiety(yes a lot of people don't know that Suboxone can also be used for high leveled anxiety patients too..who have generalized anxiety or panic attacks). They tried everything for it, and I already am on Benzo's (Clonopine), but I started getting sick a few years ago and got a lot of stress and anxiety and a doctor suggested Suboxone, which helped tremendously!To answer your question, I'll tell you about my experience quickly this last week. I tapered down to 1/2 pill(*mg Tablets) for the last week, and stopped the Suboxone 2 days before my surgeries.My doc. knew I was on it and I let everyone at the hospital know too(this will give you an advantage to them understanding that not only are you opiate tolerant but also are on Suboxone which blocks opiates. After I had my surgery on Friday the 12th, in the hospital they were giving me IV Dilaudid for the pain(which if you don't know is the strongest painkiller out there you can get..it goes up to 8mg), I have been on Dilaudid a few times and once it was for a whole year and 1/2, so I do have a pretty high tolerance for that too, but they gave me the shots, and asked it it was helping and I said not really because of my history, so they kept trying and gave me more. It slightly helped, but right when your out of surgery, it's really painful. When I got home and got a script for the Dilaudid, I was taking the 6mg every 8 hours (they said 4, but I'm not too shabby on the idea of taking opiates anymore since I got off the heroin(I usually take non-narcotic pain med.'s if the pain is not really really bad). I was using my prescription for the pain and than on Thursday the 18th, I got another script for the 2mg to come down off of.There's alot of people in other blogs(like the surgery blogs when people are on suboxone and are going to surgery)that say they didn't take their suboxone for 2,3 days and some say a week, and that they did not feel the pain med.'s at all.I have no idea why they wouldn't if they def. were not taking their Suboxone at the same time, because It worked perfectly for me(I am 29, 5'6", and 112pds)..well when I mean perfectly, I mean it took some of the pain away..it's obviously not going to take all of your pain away, that's never possible unless your using heroin or too much of your med.'s. Anyways yesterday Sunday the 21st I took my last dose of Dilaudid (1mg...I was tapering down for 3 days and the last day I split the 2mg pill into half's and was taking just 1 mg for an easier detox). I took my last pill at around 5-6PM. Today I woke up at 3 am in withdrawal and took some sleeping pills and clonopin to put me back to sleep and ease the withdrawals, and than woke up at 6am again and couldn't go back to sleep. I waited till 10:00 am and took a piece of my 8mg Suboxone (because my Suboxone specialist..my Dr. obviously told me to take it as soon as I fall into a pretty good withdrawal or 12-14 hours later). I took that little piece which prob. equaled to about 3mg of Suboxone to make sure I was not going to fall into the Suboxone over-withdrawal, which is when you take it too soon and still have too much opiates in your system and you fall into a HUGE BAD withdrawal from it and you can actual die from it too(now the pharmacist I know who is my best friend says that it's not really common to die like that, so DON'T panic..but it does happen when people take it way too soon, their hearts stop)...so I waited about 30 min.'s and I didn't feel anything, which was s a good sign because I was testing to see if my withdrawals would get worse, and I'd have to wait longer(just in case, because you do NOT want to fall into a Suboxone withdrawal after taking opiates too soon, it's horrible!!!)..so since it didn't effect me, I decided to take my 2 8mg tablets about an hour after that(And this was just now about 4 1/2 hours ago). Now I feel brand new again and the withdrawals from the Dilaudid are completely GONE! Thank god. hate when I have to have surgery or something where you have to take narcotic pain med.'s because it's just too painful(I actually now HATE taking any pain med.'s, that's why I choose to take the non-narcotic(Ultrium also know as Tramadol) ones if I have something going on. So my last opiate was yesterday at about 5-6 PM and I took my Suboxone(the little test part at 10:00 AM..and than my 2 8mg at around 11:00AM..now that gives a time frame of about 15-16 hours after ingesting the pill. I have known people that I have been there and helped many friends and people get off Heroin.Oxycotin/Dilaudid/Roxi's/Percocets/and Fetanly and on to Suboxone many times and non of them ever waited the 48 hours that is "said" to do..even Suboxone clinics do not make you wait that long..It's said by many doctors I have spoken with that once you fall into a pretty good withdrawal (you don't have to wait it out and be in really bad withdrawal)..you can start your Suboxone. Usually the time periods I have seen that no one has ever gotten the Suboxone back-kick is between 12-24hours the most! Just as long as you are feeling the actual withdrawal starting, and you wait a bit till you get some leg and body cramps, the stomach being upset, and some sweatiness, and feeling like you are withdrawing and craving and slightly want to crawl out of your skin, you can take it..I would test it like I did just in case, and you'll find out in 20-30 min.'s if it's ok to take the full amount. You DO NOT have to wait till your completely withdrawing from the opiates and ride it out for 2 days...I don't know what some people may say, but I have dealt with helping a lot of people, have educated myself with my Suboxone specialist, Suboxone clinics, and other Doctors tained to give out Suboxone, and they all usually say 12 hours after your last use, but make sure that you are feeling some of the withdrawals for a few hours first, and feeling them starting to get a little worse where it's annoying and your craving to get rid of the pain, but your not going crazy full blown out withdrawing. I hope I helped you out a little. I had to take my Suboxone test with myself the 2nd time now after surgeries and going on pain med's and I have always felt great after taking the Suboxone about 12-15 hours after my last use.(And I have a very slow metabolism too, so I'm surprised). And also I tapered down from 8mg tablets 2X a day to 4mg a day and stopped it for 2 days..on wed. and thurs. and Fri. morning went in for my surgeries, and I didn't feel any withdrawal symptoms from the Suboxone those 2 days I didn't take it or the next morning, and the painkillers worked as much as they could(on my very high tolerate body) pretty well.Always think positive too, your brain is very powerful and if you don't think about it, it's not gonna effect you that much either. Hope everything works out for you.Let me know!! ;0)

Look up the COWS scale. They recommend when you get to a 10 as far as your symptoms occur, then you can safely take suboxone. Every person is different. Even when I had a heavy habit I was vomiting after 12 hours and suboxone helped. Other people have to wait more than 24 hours. It all depends on how your body metabolizes the drug. Go by your symptoms and forget the time. I made the mistake of waiting before and I suffered needlessly for a whole day. Listen to your body, rate yourself on the COWS, and you will suffer very few w/ds. Hope this was helpful for anyone reading.

I am a perfect example of why you need to wait a LONG time after taking opiates,methadone or any narcotic b4 taking suboxone. I waited 3 days without methadone and 12 hours for opiates( which I as advised to do) b4 taking suboxone and I went in instant withdrawl and BAD. It was bad at first but came in waves then my dr. gave me another 4mg pill and it got even worse and I didn't think that was possible.It was an total nightmare!! I dealt with it for 12 hours b4 I couldn't take it anymore so I took 5mg of oxy's every ten minutes until I had some relief from the cramping and pains I had from head to toe. My hands and feet were so cold it hurt but I was drenched in sweat ect.. I know its hard to withdraw yourself enough to take the suboxone but if you don't you will have severe precipitated w/d which means if your not in enough w/d it will put into it and FAST and SEVERE. So please if you really want it to work do it right cause now I'm to scared to try it again. If anyone has any questions for me about my experience don't hesitate to email me. And if anyone has any ideas on what I should try next I'm open to any suggestions. Thank you

I am a perfect example of why you need to wait a LONG time after taking opiates,methadone or any narcotic b4 taking suboxone. I waited 3 days without methadone and 12 hours for opiates( which I as advised to do) b4 taking suboxone and I went in instant withdrawl and BAD. It was bad at first but came in waves then my dr. gave me another 4mg pill and it got even worse and I didn't think that was possible.It was an total nightmare!! I dealt with it for 12 hours b4 I couldn't take it anymore so I took 5mg of oxy's every ten minutes until I had some relief from the cramping and pains I had from head to toe. My hands and feet were so cold it hurt but I was drenched in sweat ect.. I know its hard to withdraw yourself enough to take the suboxone but if you don't you will have severe precipitated w/d which means if your not in enough w/d it will put into it and FAST and SEVERE. So please take it from me DO NOT listen to anyone on here who says you can have mild or moderate W/D b4 taking subs, NOT TRUE!! Everyones body is different so don't risk it. One person can take subs after 4 hours of taking narcotics and it may work fine but some say days of nothing still put them into precipitated w/d. So please if you really want it to work for you, do it right the first time cause now I'm to scared to death to try it again. If anyone has any questions for me about my experience don't hesitate to email me. And if anyone has any ideas on what I should try next I'm open to any suggestions. Thank you

Reply to this post

I am a perfect example of why you need to wait a LONG time after taking opiates,methadone or any narcotic b4 taking suboxone. I waited 3 days without methadone and 12 hours for opiates( which I as advised to do) b4 taking suboxone and I went in instant withdrawl and BAD. It was bad at first but came in waves then my dr. gave me another 4mg pill and it got even worse and I didn't think that was possible.It was an total nightmare!! I dealt with it for 12 hours b4 I couldn't take it anymore so I took 5mg of oxy's every ten minutes until I had some relief from the cramping and pains I had from head to toe. My hands and feet were so cold it hurt but I was drenched in sweat ect.. I know its hard to withdraw yourself enough to take the suboxone but if you don't you will have severe precipitated w/d which means if your not in enough w/d it will put into it and FAST and SEVERE. So please if you really want it to work do it right cause now I'm to scared to try it again. Again,PLEASE DO NOT listen to anyone here telling you that because they were fine or everyone they know were fine after 12 hours of no narcotics that you can take subs after 12 hours. It may not be long enough for YOU. If anyone has any questions for me about my experience don't hesitate to email me. And if anyone has any ideas on what I should try next I'm open to any suggestions. I'm only on opiates now,no methadone!!Thank you

Okay, I'm going to try to make this as short as possible.  For starters, since I know it matters, I'm 5'7" and weigh 120 lbs (and am 28 years old).  Now I'll start with my question.  I'm wondering how long after taking the opioids (4 Lorcet 10/650) do I need to wait before taking my next Suboxone??

For the last two years, I have been taking those opioids.  By the end, I was taking anywhere from 25 to 35 each day, taking usually 6 pills at once.  I was becoming tolerant to even that many, but wouldn't let myself go any higher.  Last Monday was when I quit so I could be in withdrawal at the dr.  Two days after (Wed) was my dr appt and that evening I started Suboxone strips (8 mg, I do believe the highest dose...and at one whole strip each day).  I was doing great.  Then yesterday I had access to them, and started doing that whole 'negotiating with myself and weighing out the pros and cons of taking a few' thing.  If you've been an addict or dependant on anything, you prob know exactly what I'm talking about.  So once I noticed it had been 12 hours since I took my last Suboxone, I figured last night was the perfect time, then today I would withdrawal and could take my Sub and be golden.  But no...

It's now about 17 or 18 hours later, and I'm not having withdrawals.  The only thing that is wrong with me is I am having muscle cramps and my muscles are tender.  That's it.  I'm very confused.  The only thing I can think is that this is happening because I went a week without, so the drug was out my system completely.  Also that I was on Sub for 6 days and was considered in remission. 

I know that it is best to not go by time, but instead, go by how my w/d symptoms are.  But what if I never feel worse or even start withdrawaling?  I'm terrified of going through prec. w/d's again.  And after only one week, it's def not a good time to get off Suboxone.  Even if I'm physically alright without it, it still helps with the cravings.  I wasn't even craving last night, so honestly, I don't even know why I took the opiates.  Just a stupid mistake, and hopefully the only setback I ever have.  Please help!

If you have not been taking narcotics for an extended period you will not get withdrawals. If this is your case you will also not be able to precipitate withdrawal if there's no Withdrawal to precipitate. I usually wait a week after taking any narcotics to take a suboxone, Of course I use Suboxone recreationally not to get off of opioids. IF YOU ARE NOT ADDICTED YOU WILL NOT GET PRECIPITATED WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS. And a 1/4 strip of suboxone on an empty head is stronger and more pleasant than any Dilaudid or Heroin high. If you haven't taken any pills for a week you will only need a 1/4 of an 8 mg suboxone, this will give a nice heavy high for 30+ hours.

That's BS, I take subs recreationally as well, and have NEVER has a 30+ heavy high.

Man it would be nice to be able to go to a sight to get information about a question that you have for instance "How long do you have to wait to take Suboxone after using Opiates?" and get an answer to your question but seems that, that is a little bit too much to ask as everytime I try to find the answer to that question I have to read through these threads that are written by people that either dont understand the question being asked or they think that these help sites are places to tell their whole convoluted life story. WTF??? What is so hard about getting to the point and giving a straight answer without telling everybody about how many milligrams of dillaudid you were on when you had the Dr remove your head from your ass! Im sick and I have some suboxone and I want to know if I can take it without getting sicker and I have read through 30 minutes of these fools telling their life story. So please if you are here to answer a question please do so, and keep the life stories to yourself cuz now Ive had to waste five more minutes of my time being sick to become what Im on here bitching about by writing something that has nothing to do with the question. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** inappropriate posting*** Please read our Terms of Use

well you clearly dont know what the f*ck youre talking about especially if you take subs recreationaly if you can get off on suboxone you have never had a serious enough habit to need them in the first place I hate when people who dont know what the hell theyre talking about try to inject their opinion on others who are just looking for a legit answer the previous writer WAS in fact addicted to the lortab if you even read what he wrote. 99 percent of people on this website actually need these pills and cant abuse them if they wanted to so how dare you compare the high to anything else youre talking about abusing a medication that is really the only relief opiate addicts  "subsRawesome" you suck dude   This reply is to SubsRAwesome

I know exactly what you are talking about I was doing some contract work out in Boston I am from Detroit Michigan I was on suboxin but I stop taking it for a least 3 days so I could feel a high I decided to go on a heroin binge for almost a week straight then about the next morning after my last shot 11 o'clock the night before I took 2 8 milligram suboxone I was driving to the job I started feeling really really weird I figured it was probably maybe the altitude or just being by the ocean I told my supervisor I wasn't feeling so good and then instantly I had to use the bathroom and then I started throwing up it was the most excruciating depressing horrible feeling I've ever felt my life and I am on a job with customers expecting me to get my job done which is a very hard labor job when you have to pull every single window out of the customer's house and houses out in Boston are huge so definitely go with your body until you feel sick after doing any kind of opiates I mean body aches and not feeling well at all take a small piece at first and then wait for it to kick in about 30 minutes and you feel fine then take another small piece and work your way up to your original dose but do it in 30 minute intervals and you shouldn't make the mistake of going into an extremely bad withdrawal the only reason I got through that withdrawal is because I was reading online to counteract with it and break through the suboxone so I did about two really big lines of heroin I felt a little bit better after I did that but I still felt cold sweaty on uncomfortable I felt everything but the body aches for the next 2&a half 3 days but luckily I had something some kind of opiate to break through the suboxone even then it was a horrible horrible experience in if I wouldn't have anything I probably would've ended up in the hospital so definitely be safe when you're doing something like that because if you're somewhere where you can get to the hospital then you're going to be in the most excruciating pain your life so take your time you will know when your body is ready to take suboxone

I agree with you 100%.....looking for an answer to a question and I have to waste my time reading about their hospital trip or when they had surgery just answer the Q and leave it simple PLEASE!

There is no need to write your life story..damn