I was using heroin for years and finally found a doc that took the time to help me by prescibing suboxone. i was usng anywhere from 10 to 50 bags a dayof junk so the doctor put me on 16mg of suboxone a day. I have been on this dose for 1 1/2 years and recently was tapered down 4mg. The first almost week was ok, just the sweats and yawning w/teary eyes and other begining withdrawel symtoms,the i got violently ill with a headache and vomiting all day and evening,not to mentin the emotional pain of wanting it all to stop and having the negitive thinking come into play. This has been so hard and I want to make it,i have stayed clean this long and want to be forever. If anyone has gone through this i love love to hear your experience.

I was addicted to 80-100 mg of Oxycontin a day for 2 months. I have been on subutex for a year and a half because I just can't stand the withdrawals. I just found a new doctor who put me on Suboxone and said that the withdrawals are not as bad, but reading all these posts, it sounds worse than subutex. One time, I stopped Subutex for 10 days and was finally seeing the light, then I took some more oxycodone for a few days and then stopped. I had no withdrawals from the oxycodone, other than cravings. This was supposed to be a miracle drug, but i'm starting to think they need to re-vamp the program and procedures. This stuff is just HELL to come off of. The only thing you can do is stay doped up on valium until the withdrawals go away. It's easy enough to buy online, but expensive.
A word of advise to anyone just starting Subutex/Suboxone treatment: Don't take it for more than 2 weeks, NO MATTER WHAT THE DOCTOR SAYS. The doctors only know what the drug manufacturer says and all of us who have actually used the stuff know that they are full of sh*t! PLEASE do not stay on this stuff long at all. My oxycodone withdrawals were easy compared to Subutex withdrawals. And that is regardless of tapering and meetings.

P.S. Avoid any clinic/program called Meditox. They are rip-off artists and only want you to stay on the stuff for $500 per month. The entry fee to the program was $3500. The local doctor I'm seeing now charges $150 to get in the program and $70 a month thereafter.

O.k I've been on suboxone for 5 months now, and I'm terrified to get off of it! The stories I've been hearing r horrible! I'm currently taking 32 mgs. I was in a car accident 6 years ago and suffer from severe back pain. I've tried evreything and narcotic pain killers were the only thing that helped, thus began my addiction. I used vicodin. percs and oxycontin for 5 years. This medication does not help the pain and my do won't treat me for pain. I want to get off of this drug! ASAP! I've been thinking about not taking it for 3 days and then using Vicodin to help through the withdrawls. If u can offer any advice, I would appreciate it! Please help!

Folks, please read this if you are on Suboxone. I took it for over 4 years, all the way up to 32 mgs a day and down to 4mg a day. I finally tapered down to 2 mg a day and then jumped off. I have been off of everything for 8 days now and I am sicker than I have ever been getting off of herion or any other opiate and like many of you I have been addicted to and come off all types. This is some nasty withdrawal folks. I called the company that makes suboxone today and they told me that it can take anywhere from 7 days to 6 weeks depending on my mind and body and that it is different for everyone. I am not saying that I regret being on Sub but I am telling you this... If you experience what I have for the last 8 days you will feel like you won't care if you live or die. Good luck to all of you.

I've been struggling myself to get off of suboxone. Once I get to 2-3 days, I ill out just as though I was doing any other drug. I think it's a bunch of lies that there's not withdrawl from suboxone... I went on a quarter of a 8mg for a week, and I still feel like I can't function. This isn't a good thing for users, cuz' who wants to stay feeling like this when they know they can go do something else to make them feel better. Personally, I don't know how much longer I can take.

You sound like me two years ago. Please don't give up. I wasn't in a car accident, but I did have neck surgery and had horrible neck, shoulder and head pain after the surgery that no doctor would treat. They were going to put a pain pump in me to manage the pain. I was on as many pills as you speak of and only needed more and more - and I was still in pain.

I have been on suboxone (and Topamax) for a year now and am off all pain meds. I was terrified of pain and felt no one understood what I was living through. Slowly, I've been tapered off the suboxone (from 12 mg to 1 mg.) and I've worked 70 hours a week the whole way through, mostly pain free. Gone is my shoulder and neck pain, etc. I do stretch, I'm sure the Topamax helps, and I do go to a physical therapist every now and then, but the most important thing I've learned and now believe is that when I was taking the pills, my body stopped treating its own pain. The amount of pain pills I was taking, shut off my own ability to treat the pain. The pills made it worse. The suboxone (has a small amount of pain reliever in it) slowly allows your own body to take over and gets you off the pills. Your body can start to manage your pain again. At least you can see what your real pain level is without all the "junk" in the way, and there's NO WAY it can be as bad as it is. It takes a little time and you may need over the counter Tylenol, Advil...but not the opiates. If you start on the Vicodin, you'll start the cycle over. You know the Vicodin won't work.

Are you working with an MD with the suboxone?

Please write back. I think I can help.

Been there.

Hey folks: There is some withdrawal to suboxone. The idea behind suboxone is to go slow. I started at 12 mg. one year ago and have worked down to 1 mg. one year later. My MD thinks that's been fast. For a week I feel tired and sweaty, achy, and no appetite - but it's manageable with Benadryl, the prescribed Clonidine and prescribed sleep med (non addictive) I have from my MD. But I am doing it. I was on opiates for three years and this is a picnic compared to the withdrawals I went through with those. Suboxone has allowed me to fully function, keep my job, and remain opiate free. If you're trying to use Suboxone: GO SLOW! It does work, but it's NOT A FREE RIDE.

Yes, there are flu-like side effects, though I've never heard of any side effects lasting more than two weeks (unless it's a rapid detox). There isn't an easy fix. Most suboxone programs should include counseling/support. It's a tough deal, but better than the drug cycle.

Hang in there.

38 days ago I detoxed off of 200mg of methodone a day and 50 micrograms of fentynl every 48 hrs. this was the second time I stopped "juice", the first time I did it on my own and it consumed 8 months of my life. I won't get into any of the gorie details but I swore I would never do it like that again. Anyway, 7 days into this most recent (and I thought my last) detox my Dr. came in and offered me Suboxone, I deal with cronic back pain and it ain't going away. Being a recovering addict and weighing all I could find out, decided on day 9 to try it. I am on 16mg/day and am considering up'n it to 24mg/day, NO, I am reconsidering it all after spending the last hour on this site. What have I done? First, the results with this medication have been amazing with pain and the whole detox thing. Amazing! Second, now Im scared! Please share your experiance getting off Suboxone. I read all the horror (please no more) stories I just need some good advice. I am serious about my recovery and thought I had found a good way to deal with my pain. thnkx

i went to a doctor that prescribed me suboxone. i had been abusing pain medication, taking maybe 10 vicodin a day. i had so many side effects from the suboxine,throwing up ,headaches,going #2 was a tramatic expieriance due to constipation!..lol
when i went to him and told him i was pregnant,his response was that i was beautiful and young and could have children later(i am 30) he advised me to abort my baby. he then wished me luck and cut me off off the following meds..suboxone,ambian,and zanax...all adictive, he gave me no advice on how to cope and didnt tell me what i was in for.
let me say that on top of being newly pregnant going through the pain of withdrawl was gross...it didnt help me with my vicodin problem because its all i think about.

I have been on Suboxone since March 23,2007 and I have went from 16 mg per day to 2mg and I have even went 5 1/2 days w/o it and I honestly did NOT get very sick at all!!! Of course I did not feel wonderful, but it was bearable. I have come off of Methadone cold turkey and was addicted to Hydrocodone and Oxycodone b4 that so I know all too well what terrible w/d's feel like. IMHO, Suboxone is best for people addicted to things like Vicodin and/or Percocet..... I ended up on Methadone and it was the biggest mistake of my life!! It was the hardest to kick. I agree that Suboxone may not be for everyone BUT for me it has saved my life. Take care everyone!! :-D

First time i did heroine was 4 years ago, then i switched to subutex... I was ok cause i did not use it much (the only problem wast hat i injected it)... For the past last year i am using subuxone ( injected as well)... I quited suboxone without reducing, i just stopped using it... I live in a shity island...we have no vicodins...i'm usign tramadol and i have no sleeping pills....i still feel like sh*t because i cnnot eat nor function....the nights are terrible... this is my 5th day without subuxone...can someone tell me how long is this stupid withdrwal lasts???? i've heard i can go like this for a month... i cannot last another weekend cause my parents are getting suspicious.... what shoul i do??????I'm f*****g desperate....give me a quick answer

[when i recently stopped my suboxone, one week ago, i was only taking 2mg every other day for a month. I felt fine for the first 2 days then by day three I began feeling lethargic, depressed, creepy crawlies at night . couldn't sleep more than 2 hrs at a time. i was originally told by my dr that if i tapered there would be no withdrawals. not so. i'm 1 week in and saw my doctor. he suggested a benzodiazepam like xanax for the anxiety and help sleep. its helped a bit but i feel prety loopy during the day. he said the withdrawals should only last 1-2 more weeks. but what i have noticed helped is to get some exercise like walking or any strength training or swimming. I know its hard to get started due to the lethergy, but i swear it helped. I need to get those natural endorphins going again. It really helps. You just got to get through the first 5 minutes. then you will notice yourself feeling better mentally and physically. there is no quick fix in this quest for beter health but each day i feel a little less worse and thats enough for me right now. I just try to keep in mind how much worse off i was before I began the suboxone and the discomfort i'm experiencing now pales in comparrison to any w/d's i've experienced from percs or dope. I guess its the lesser of two evils. It's bearable. Good Luck and hang in there. Its not a sprint but a marathon. (sorry for the cliche')

If anyone takes the time to go to the DEA and read about DATA 2000, you will see that suboxone is intended to be used for maintenance therapy indefinately, 'unless there is a compelling reason to stop' (the wording of the material that describes proper use). All of this short term use is just silly-- it is done by docs who are still at the 30 patient limit and who want to keep bringing in new patients. If you understand opiate addiction, you would understand that short term use DOES NOTHING. On suboxone, your cravings are gone, and you are in remission-- just like a patient with high blood pressure on medication. Go off the med, and you are an untreated opiate addict who will soon be using again. All of you who are trying to get off subox-- you will soon be using again. That we know-- it is clear in multiple studies that have been done. Why would anyone want to get off subox? I have, by the way, stopped it several times for surgeries, and the withdrawal was quite mild. But I will take the stability, the lack of cravings, the saving money that goes to using, the lack of always coming off someting, and the lack of legal risk... and stay on suboxone. Using stinks. And for me, and for all of you, there is no other alternative-- you just haven't learned that. Yet, anyway.

im really startin to worry as far a s coming off of the suboxone program im on.,. my dr. set me up with a 4 month program starting @ 16mg... and slowly tapering off .... i only got on this cuz i heard that this was the best thing for addicts... can someone please help me... im not an extreme heroin addict like i used to be-my use was 1 bag a day and eventually moving down to percs (like 1-3 a day) .... please help me with some positive stories.... or someone who used like i did... and any helpful advice...

you CAN get off it . I did it. Used oxy's 120-160 mg's a day, 10+ percs and vikes, then used heroin. Half gram a day . only b/c it was all i could afford. All of that use for 3-4 years. Went on suboxone for 2 1/2 years, trying to ween off after first year. Finally bit the bullet. Was down to taking breadcrumb size pieces 1/8 of a 8mg tab. stretched out until it was gone. Two weeks of wd's , couldn't sleep more than 3 hours, diarhea for three weeks. Miserable... But it ends.. No more stomach, joint,back,neck, ball the BS involved in the hell that is withdrawels. I can say that suboxone was addictive and withdrawels were pretty frikkin close to H and oxy's but It did end for me and i feel better now. You can too . Hang in there. Also had some drinks to attempt to sleep, which did help. I think you have to suffer some pain for all the high's you had. Eye for and eye.. not fair, that's life