I am currently on Suboxone and my doc is demanding that I quit smoking (cigarettes). He says that it is "illegal" to smoke while being prescribed Suboxone. Also says that smoking "cancels" out the effects of the Suboxone. Has anyone else heard this?

That is straight up BS. He is spinning you a web of lies, most likely so he can make a buck off you by prescribing you anti-smoking aids and such. Don't listen to him. I have been on Suboxone for 1 year and 3 months now after a long opiate addiction, and I have been smoking cigarettes the entire time I've been on Suboxone. It is not illegal - I assure you this. There is no medication on the face of the earth that is illegal to take while smoking cigarettes. My Sub doctor tried getting me to quit, but only because it boost his paycheck a little. I told him no thanks, not interested.

As to your other question, smoking cigarettes does not cancel out the effects. You will not go into withdrawal, don't worry my friend. He is just trying to scare you. I smoke a pack and a half a day on average, just as I have the entire time I've been on Suboxone. I will say though, that smoking a cigarette after your Suboxone takes effect does not have the same pleasure enhancing effects as say - smoking a cigarette after shooting a bag of H. But if you're on Suboxone, you're probably not taking it for the buzz anyways, because it's not that great. However, the buzz is better than nothing and that is the reason I'm still taking it after so long (and of course to avoid the withdrawals). Sure, I could just buy some painkillers or go back to shooting dope, but that would be very counter-productive and I swore to myself I would never start doing opiates again (besides Suboxone for the remainder of the time I take it).

Good luck with your treatment, I hope it goes better than mine is going at the moment. Best of luck.

P.S. Screw your doctor, smoke as many cigarettes as you want. I know you deserve it after going through the pain of quitting opiates.

find a new doctor! there is no law stating that you cant smoke a cig on suboxone. that is bull. i've been on sub for a year and i smoke a pack a day. suboxone saved my life. so smoke away ur doc is an id**t

Absolutely untrue. You can do anything you want on suboxone EXCEPT opiates of any kind - agonists/antagonists/anything.

If you WANT to quit smoking, try two different things (not at the same time) Wellbutrin / Zyban works well, and if that doesn't work for you, try Chantix (but get off of it as soon as you can - the freaky dreams that you sometimes get are a pain). I went from a pack and a half a day to nothing twice on each of these drugs. I haven't smoked a cigarette in 2 years and had no issues other than the normal cue related issues.

I've found smoking too much while on it will make me sick and possibly throw up. Everyone is different. Also, contrary to popular belief, I have found that smoking OxyContin while on Subs still works, albiet a little less. In any case mixing sub with opiates has never lead me to increased WD. Whatever you do though, DO NOT SLAM SUBOXONE!! If you do this it will hurt.

hey, i think he was thinking about marijuana??

it can affect medications and it explains why he said illegal

just a thought

NOT TRUE...at all...find a new doc

That is perhaps the most ridiciculous and untruthful statement i have ever heard come from a doctor!

That is absolutely not true. I'm on 2 8 mgs of suboxone a day and also smoke a pack a day.. my doc said its fine.. I also have a suboxone booklet that says it makes u crave certain things like cigs.

u know... smoking posts more health risks than heroin does... (in a way) if you were to do CLEAN heroin-every day for 60 years without O.D'n, I do not believe you would have any ill effects to you (anitomic) However, the tar and nic in cigs are poison. The tar causes cancer and nicotine is strait up poison in high doses. The number one ingredient in bug spray is often nicotine! SO, even @ small doses--- it must not be good for you. Same thing with drinking. Alcohol is poison! It amazes me that 2 of the most deadly chemicals you could abuse are both legal! I mean.. there are some street drugs that are pretty bad.. like Meth...etc but... If you're DR told you this... youo better make sure h e is a real DR. because somethign does not sound right.

What about smoking while the strip is dissolving? Does that matter at all?

You can smoke cigs, doctors say anthing . . .that someone else told them. They didnt do the research god knows that. When I was put on subs my dr. did no urine test, bloodwork , nothing . Just handed me a 8 mg tablet and said swallow it . Can u believe that sh*t??? I knew that wasnt right and so did the nurse who said put it under your tongue, so I did and after 30 minutes the dr. flew through the waiting room and stopped for a second asked how I was feeling ? I said so.so and he gave me another then wrote a script and I was out the door. Requardless Im not on heroin and dont have the nightmare of that daily trip into baltimore city. So far so good and I smoke . . . like a fiend!

I've heard many different things from many different people. The only thing in particular I've heard about Suboxone and smoking cigarettes is that I was told you shouldn't smoke for at least 2 hours before dosing or else it could affect absorbtion. After much thought and input from other people I'm leaning toward this being untrue. Hope this helps!

I take suboxon and smoke I normally smoke right after I dissolve. It does not effect me in any way what so ever . and what your doc said is very untrue

says cigs in his question so no