Hi, I am getting off the suboxone, and I don’t know if I have strength to handle withdrawal symptoms that are going to appear. Can you tell me something about suboxone withdrawal? Is this addiction common?

Suboxone is used for treatment of opoid dependence. Unfortunately, suboxone can cause a physical dependence itself. However, it belongs to group of opoids that cause milder withdrawal symptoms. That means that you will have problems getting off this drug, but not as bad as you could have with some full agonists. It’s a good thing that you decided to get off the suboxone, and I hope you’ll succeed. Some people have leg cramps when they get off suboxone, and they often can’t get out of bed for few days. You will have to do this sooner or later, so it’s better to do get off this drug now. Don’t forget that addiction never affects only you, but your family and friends too, even if you’re not aware of it.

:-( I had my last Suboxone a week ago. I used it to help me withdraw from Percocet. Did the tapering and all. My symptoms are getting worse daily. How long will this last? I thought that I had read anywhere's from 1 week to 1-6 months. AAAAAAAAAAaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! Can this be true? Any suggestions for spasm relief and severe imsomnia? Thanks!

i am in the same position... i do not know what to do i have read you can take immodium for help since it is structurally similar to an opiod but without being able to get you high... i almost wish ihad never tried suboxone... i dont think it is the miracle drug my doctor claims it to be. i didnt taper off the drug i just stopped. i stopped seeing my doctor cause i think he was a crock. if anyone is going to use suboxone... there is a 21 day schedule which will allow you to get off the opiod you are currently using without becoming physically addicted to the suboxone and i think that is the trick

I just quit taking my doctor prescribed 90mg of morphine daily. My doctor prescribed me 8-16 mg of suboxone daily. After doing some reading about the drug I was scared to death of getting strung out on this stuff as my doctor had intended. I took approximately 1-2 mg for the first week and 1mg daily for the following two weeks, a total of 21 dAYS on suboxone. I quit four days ago and am feeling worse and worse, I am in actual pain, my vomiting and diarea are still horrible. I just threw up the water I drank. My stomach feels like someone punched me in it, I cant sleep, and the leg and arm cramps are unbearable. Can anyone recomend anything that will help me get through this? Today I broke down and took about 3 mg of hydrocodone in hopes to make this bearable, it barely helped. Will this only prolong my agony? And can anyone tell me how long this detox really lasts, or at least the physically painfull part of it?

Hi! I am telling all of you that it is possible to get off Suboxone by yourself, but it is not easy. I will tell you what worked for me. First of all you HAVE TO TAPER OFF FIRST!!! I was on suboxone for almost two years and got off by myself with no drugs. You cannot just quit even off of 2 milligrams. You will never make it. Taper for a while, take a little less every day until you are taking a crumb. I could make one suboxone last me 10 days. After your body completely adjusts to being on such a small amount then you just have to make up your mind that you are going to quit! When I stopped I flushed the last bit of suboxone I had down the toilet so I wouldn't be tempted. The first day without suboxone wasn't so bad, but by day two and a half it was hell and I had to go to work, but I just reminded myself that I was strong enough to do this and really it was only one bad day. The withdrawals were nothing compared to getting off of OC's and each day got a little better. Remember it will take a long time, but it is possible to get off and you will feel amazing to have your life back.

I have now tried to stop using suboxone for 6 days. When the dr put me on it to take me off methadone she said it wasnt additive> BS!! I was told though that the withdrawals only last about 10 days?? I have tried coming off before but after the 3rd day I gave up. I think since i'm on wellbutrin it takes the really bad withdrawal symptons away. Really all I/m havin is loose stools and the sweats so compared to the other withdrawals I had off methadone and the other time I tried to stop Suboxone this is nothing. So maybe if u get a script for some kind of nerve medicine it will help you. Don't get me wrong do not take valium or xanex thats what 5 of my friends died from! But if u take more than 1 a day now just wean yourself down to one a day for about a month before you try to quit!

I couldnt afford to pay the doctor a hundred bucks every month for a small script of paper. My doctor didnt even know my name without reading from my file. I was taking percs, oxy, vicodin, sometimes benzo's.
about a year and a half ago i decided to go see the doctor because I couldnt take the withdrawals although I almost made it 5 days off pain killers, but then went back to the doctors and got more vicodin. I seen an "addictions specialist" who was very arrogant, and i could see really didnt give a sh*t about me. I went from 8mg subs tapered my self down to 2 mgs that took about a year.Then i countined to take the 2mgs for a few months and was not really ready to get off. Suboxone is definatly a dependant drug. I couldnt afford my last visit so i said "im just going to take it. Doctor said i would have 2 bad days since i was on 2 mg, but thats it. DAY 1 WASNT TOO BAD BUT I WAS STARTED TO GET EMOTIONAL, BUT FELT LITTLE PAIN. DAY 2-5 WERE HORRIBLE FOR ME I LAYED IN BED BUT COULD NOT SLEEP. LOOSE STOOLS, INSOMNIA, MUSCLE ACHES, CRYING, IT WAS PRETTY HARD FOR ME, BUT I WAS DETERMIND TO SUCCEED. FEW TIPS THAT HELPED.....VALIUM, WALKING, TRYING YOUR BEST TO KEEP YOUR MIND OCCUPIED, LISTENING TO MOTIVATIONAL MUSIC "ROCKY 4" SOUND TRACK REALLY HELPED ME TAKE THE WALKS AND GAVE ME STRENGHT. i SMOKED A GOOD AMOUNT OF MARIJUANA, SOMETIMES IT GAVE ME ANXIETY ATTACKS. I TOOK PEPTO, BUT DIDINT REALLY WORK. DAYS 5 -10 I REALLY STARTED TO FELL 85 PERCENT. GETTIN LITTLE MORE SLEEP, LESS PAIN, NO CRAVINGS, LIKE I SAID I WAS DETERMIND TO KICK THIS DRUG. i WAS STILL CRYING A LOT THROGH OUT DAYS 5 -10. I AM 20 DAYS OFF. AND THE ONLY SYMTOMS I HAVE ARE PAIN IN MY KNEES AND RLS. MOST OF THE TIME VALIUM TAKES CARE OF IT. AND IM TAKING VALIOUM AS PRESCRIBED. I JUST MET JOE SATCH AT THE KESWICH LAST NIGHT AND FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE I STOPPED I REALLY FELT NORMAL AGAIN. AND IM BACK INTO SOCIETY, HANGING WITH FRIENDS, BUT ON DAY 20 IM STILL NOT SLEEPING THAT GREAT YET. BUT IT WILL COME SOON. I HONESLTLY DONT SEEM YSELF EVER TASTING ANOTHER OPIATE AGAIN. ITS NOT WORTH IT. GUYS HANG IN THERE BE DETERMIND! YOU CAN DO IT! HOPE I HELPED ANYONE WHO NEEDED IT. I FIGURED ID RETURN A MESSAGE SINCE A LOT OF THESE MESSAGE BOARDS GAVE ME HOPE AND STRENGHT.

I was addicted to pain pills for about a year. My husband has been an addict for the duration of our relationship (13 yrs.). He didn't know I was becoming addicted as well because I had always been able to take some every now and then and never got addicted. The past 2 years of our life have been hell and I turned to the comfort of Lortabs to make me feel better. I really didn't think I would get addicted. His usage had also increased drastically. He was able to see a doctor that prescribed him Suboxone. I was finally able to confess to my husband that I was addicted too. He helped me get off the pain pills by giving me small doses of Suboxone every day. It did help, thank God! Now I'm pregnant. I was afraid to go off the Suboxone immediately because of miscarriage. I am now in my 2nd trimester and made my 3rd attempt to quit the Suboxone. I pray I can do it this time for this babies sake. I really don't want it to be born and have to go through withdrawal. Today is day 5. I have to admit that I do feel a little better each day. I just hope I will feel like my old self one day.

Hello, makingachoice, I know how you feel. I was also pregnant and taking suboxone. I didn't start it till my 3rd trimester, however, I was taking percocets up until then. I felt like a horrible person for doing this to my unborn baby, but, I couldn't handle the withdrawl. I prayed every night for my baby to come out healthy. I did alot of research on opiate and suboxone use and found out that they don't know either way how it effects the baby, as of then, there was no known effects. My daughter is a year old now, and not only is she perfectly healthy, but she is amazingly smart and has been from the moment she came out, everbody, even the dr. and nurses couldn't believe how alert and knowing she was. I don't know if you are familiar with the APGAR test they give newborns, but she got a ten, the highest score. My other 2 daughters got lower than that, and I didn't do anything with them! I am not saying it is ok to do this while pregnant, I am just giving you my experience in hopes this keeps you from worrying and feeling guilty. Also, my friend is pregnant, and she was taking suboxone, the dr. now has her on subutex, it is the same thing, but I think it doesn't have the bupinorphine(however you spell it,lol) in it, or something like that, I am not too familiar with it, but you can look it up or talk more with a dr about it. I hope this helps you, and God Bless.

Hi makingachoice and beccagrl28 I have been looking for postings like these for a long time. I am well into my 3rd tri. and am on 2mg of sub. This is my sencond time around taking the suboxone and I am terrified of hurting my baby or her having withgdrawls. My OBGYN doesn't know my history and I was told that if my baby testes positive for sub or anything that she would be taken away from me. Is this true? No one in my life knows and I am trying to get off the meds they think I quit before even getting pregnant, but the withdrawals are so bad I don't know if it is hurting me worse in my condition. I need advice on how to get off these things if its the right thing to do...the first time I took nerve meds but am scared to take those now. Anybody that can give advice I would be so greatful I am not a horrible person but a person in a gut wrenching position!

I am reassured to finally find some other people who can empathize with the difficulty I had taking and getting off of Sub. I took it for 9 miserable months to get off of Methadone (2 Years) all for 6 months of using heroin. I wish I had never taken either the Methadone or the Sub. The Sub was very hard for me to get off of - I finally had to because I ran out of money to pay my very expensive doc and pay for the equally expensive scripts. I tapered myself against his recommendation. I tapered very slowly down to breaking 1 mg pills into small pieces and then leaving multiple days between taking them. For me the acute withdrawl ended within the first week but the more subtle but no less awful stuff seems to be continuing - burning skin, anxiety, insomnia, hot flashes. I still have diarea but my gp thinks that it is something else. I also got off Lexapro about 3 months ago so I'm not sure which if any of these symptoms can atttributed to Lexapro withdrawl. Of course my gp's advice is to go back on antidepressants for my anxiety and insomnia but I'm not eager to take anything that I have to withdrawl from at this point. Plus I'm afraid they will only make me worse not better. I would be interested to know if anyone out there has taken antidepressants - especially the so-called SNRI's (wellbutrin, effexor or cymbalta) after coming off of Sub. I am afraid the action on noradreneline (aka norepenepherine) might actually increase my anxiety at this point. I just read that opiates suppress nor. and the brain works extra hard to produce it. I may be totally misunderstanding how all this works but I don't really trust my current gp to know and am scared to death of increasing my anxiety and insomnia levels anymore more - they are just managable now. Anyway good luck to you all. It is possible to get off Sub - its just not easy. I'll close with one thing - I will never ever take that stuff again and would never recommend it to anyone (although I know lots of people have great success with it.)

You will have ur life back just think u r finally coming clean that means u have nothing to fall back on when u start to feel bad and if u can make u self I know first hand but U have to make urself work ur way down to just a crumb a day of suboxone if u dont do it that way u will feel those horrible with draws Im not saying with just working ur way down to a crumb a day ur not going to feel anything but thats just part of the game be strong and hold ur head up drink lots of OJ and a Red Bull when ur at ur worst I have worked my way down to a crumb a day to a crumb every other day and so on I still feel like not getting outta bed at those times of the day I would abbuse the most but It will get better and I AM GOING TO GET OFF THIS c**p and u will two if u are for sure about this I wish u the best of luck

I recently quit "cold turkey" off 4 mgs off suboxone. took my last dose on thursday at 2, friday took 4 percocet, saturday 2 percocet and done. I did find 40 mg of valium to help symptoms and I was shocked at the relative ease of it. Also had neurontin and immodium and sleep meds as well. I am 9 days off and although lethargic, nothing bad. I had one night with terrible restless legs, tossing and turning but still managed to fall asleep 4am to 10 am. Currently taking 100 mgs of trazodone and getting 7 straight hours of sleep. everbody said ween off slowly but i felt terible the whole time on it and wanted to be done. One last tghing is I started on 32 mgs for the firast couple days off methadone and did ween rather quickly to 4mgs(3 months) It can be done.

There are a few things that I think may help alot. Ask your Dr. to give you a prescription for phenargen for the nausea, and ambien for sleep. Both of these have been life savers for me anyway..and try tylenol or ibuprofen every four hours for pain