Hello. How are you? 

I was 19 when I discovered that I am struggling with depression. It was really bad experience for me because it was something new and I didn't believe that this could be controlled or cured. But luckily I didn't have any other major problems with my depression. Except one!

Well, I had this really bad abdominal pain and it happened very often to me. When this began happening often, I decided to visit my doctor and to do some tests. Results were good. Than I started to talk and I mentioned him that I have depression and he smiled to me telling me that this is why I feel this pain. I was confused, to be honest. 

Why do people with severe depression often experience abdominal pain?

Hi there.

And how old are you now? I am sorry for asking this, but I just want to know the information for how long you are struggling with depression. 

About your question, well people do complain very often that they do have kind of tremendous pain in many areas of their body. That pain usually affects head, stomach, esophagus and chest, and usually cause a lot of questions like, did I ate something bad or what is going on. But that is normal because pain from physical causes such as nerve compression, etc can be extremely stressful and debilitating, and can worsen depression. 

Hey there. Sure you can know, now I am 26 years old and I believe that I am fighting with depression very well so far lol. Anyway, when I got this odd abdominal pain for the first time I had my period so I believed that this was the reason, but it started to happen frequently to me so I decided to seek help. I never understand how this is connected and I still don't understand why. OK, you have tried to explain this to me but still it doesn't make a sense to me. Is depression connected with those kind of pains...How it is connected? Does depression and pain manifested mostly in this way? Tnx a lot!

Yes, you are definitely brave. It seems to me that you are struggling with this depression very well so far. Well, during the midst of major depression, people are more aware of physical symptoms. That is why they tend to be preoccupied with physical symptoms that might not normally be of great concern—-such as headaches or abdominal pain in your case.

But generally depression can have different conditions. But it is very important to know that when depression and physical pain coexist, it is important not to assume that the pain is caused by that depression that you are dealing with. 

This doesn't necessarily have to be connected with depression. It can be, abdominal pain is one of many things which are caused by depression but not necessarily. I am telling you like this because I had a girlfriend who was suffering from depression and she had this abdominal pain for about 6 years, at the time when she wasn't suffering from depression as well. She went to do some analyses and talk to her doctors but they never found out why she had this abdominal pain. I don't want to scare you or anything, but she later on discovered that she can't have children.

I don't know why, but it happens. There is a big list of the bad things which depression can cause and a lot of these things can cause additional things so there is really a huge number of things that depression can be the cause of. 

By the way, how come you are so sure that you are suffering from depression? If you already searched about it over the internet, you must have found that people always tell you to talk to a psychologist in order to determine whether or not you are suffering from depression, you shouldn't make any conclusions on your own.

Depression can cause so many physical problems that the doctors are calling this a physical disorder as well as a mental one, just because of all the physical problems that it can cause.

I have absolutely no idea why does it cause abdominal pain, I just know that it does. I did a little research on the internet for you in order to find out the exact cause of this abdominal pain but I hit the wall, I found nothing, I only found articles which confirm that severe depression can somehow cause you to feel abdominal pain, but there is no info regarding how.