Hello everyone. The kid of my good friend Joshua have rheumatic heart diseases. I think that this disease is very common in children around the world. He is at the doctor's with him all the time, and yesterday while we was drinking coffee, he told me that he is really depressed because he could do something to prevent this. Now, his child is suffering. Is this really can be prevented? How even you can prevent some disease in kid? Can Rheumatic heart disease be prevented and how? Tell me what do you know about this and share your experiences. Tnx!

I am sorry about your friend and his kid. But he should not blame himself. Sometimes you can do nothing to prevent this. There are couple of ways to prevent it and the main of them is primordial prevention, which aims to minimise risk factors for a disease in a population. This means preventing group A streptococcus infections through improvement to environment, economic, social and behavioral conditions that are known to increase the risk of infections. Examples include improved housing and reduced overcrowding. But who could know that this can happen to his kid? That is why I am telling that sometimes we can't do anything about this...

Hello there. Secondary Prevention also refers to the early detection of disease and measures to prevent recurrent disease and worsening of the condition.  Secondary prophylaxis with regular benzathine penicillin G is the only RHD control strategy shown to be very effective and cost-effective at both community and population levels. Secondary prevention also include strategies aimed at improving the delivery of secondary prophylaxis and patient care, the provision of education, coordination of available health services and advocacy for necessary and appropriate resources. I have read about this on the internet and I remember that I learned about this. There is a primary prevention but I don't know a lot about it. 

Hey there. Look Couch, you should tell your friend that there are really small chances to prevent this. Maybe those chances and ways that someone already wrote in here can help, but if someone is about to have rheumatic heart disease, it is going to happen to him no matter how hard you are trying to prevent it.  Rheumatic heart disease is cardiac inflammation and scarring triggered by an autoimmune reaction to infection with group A streptococci. I think that you get bigger picture now, right? Now it is important to focus on the treatment. I hope that this kid will be fine.