Hey guys.

My mom and dad are proud owners of Pit Bull terrier. He is really beautiful. Three months ago he was diagnosed with canine hip dysplasia. It was treatable but later their dog was obviously in pain so they went to the vet again.

Apparently his health was getting worse and his dog needs to go to the surgery.

We are all scared because no one can tell us a couple of simple answers. I was hoping that you can help me.

How painful and dangerous is canine hip dysplasia surgery? Will he be in pain?

Can dogs be fine after it?

Tnx a lot!

Hey there friend, I understand your concern totally, but I believe that the surgery is not the only option. Did he offered them anything else or he just told them that this dog needs to go to the surgery? Maybe this dog needs to lose his weight? Sometimes that it the first option. But if the surgery is something that is necessary, than you need to do it. Surgery is not painful and I don’t believe that is very dangerous. After the surgery dog needs to be calm all the time. The vet will prescribe you pain relievers for your dog.

Good day everyone.

It still depends on your dog current situation. Sometimes the surgery is definitely not required in this case because a dog can be healed with certain medications.

This is generally a procedure where the hip joint is completely replaced with a prosthetic joint that is made of stainless steel and surgical grade polyethylene. This procedure will provide your dog the most normal, long term limb function.

Yes it is expensive and requires really good aftercare and rehabilitation.

It is not that dangerous, but you should always be aware of the side – effect that every surgery can cause or every anesthesia.

Hello. It depends on dog’s breed and his health condition. Usually those operation are not that dangerous. For some vets it is just a routine surgery because it usually can be that hard and that dangerous. Surgery is not painful because they will put this dog under the anesthesia. Recovery period is painful and it can last very long for some dogs. During this recovery that dog needs to rest and relax as much as possible. He can’t walk during first couple of days. They need to take him to the routine control to the vet all the time. He is going to be fine.