if one were to try to ship a bike or fly with a bike, how would one do so? What are my options?

the bike shop that matt used to work at would pack bikes for shipping.

they just packed it in old boxes new bikes arrived in. they usually did a better job than the factory packing.

as for actually shipping it, see if there are any local bike shops in the area where youre going. i think most are nice enough to accept it from UPS (or whoever you use for shipping) and hang on to it untill you get there.

When I was looking at bikes on ebay, many of the sellers referred to an UPS "bike box" that could accomodate a whole bike. Seemed like the average fee was around $50. Maybe give the local brown office a jingle and find out the details on the distance you're thinking and if someone on the other end could take it.

Heck, if airlines take golf clubs on board, why the heck not take a road bike in a bag?

I just realized I put this in the wrong forum. Thanks for playing along anyway.

Anyway, that bike bag is hysterical!! Can you imagine strolling through the airport with a bag the size of your road bike over your shoulder??
but its starting to look like my potential trip is going to be out of the budget before I look into bringing my bike. So, alas, nevermind. But maybe someday. :|

my hubby has a bike case (hard sided version of bikebag). He found it's still cheaper to ship it (fedex?) than via plane. He has the local bike shop ship it and most hotels will accept it.

jrjo--there is an extra fee with bikes, I think my hubby paid $45 each way. and they didn't do a very good job of handling. I'd hate to see what they'd do to a bike in cardboard! He always ships now. Cheryl, ask your local bike shop if they know anyone that will borrow out a bike case for a few bucks...if not, like crazyfrog, the bike shops do an really great job with cardboard