So I've kinda been a bad bike owner. I basically just kept my chain fairly clean and lubed cables & gears sporadically. After some horrible shifting problems and really only riding in the middle chainring for a very long time, I just broke down and left it at the LBS for some work.
I'm sure the couple of trips to the beach this summer didn't help. Both brake cables are going to be replaced because of the corrosion. So anyways, how often do you take it in for a regular tune up?

I don't ever take my bike in, because I ride so much, I'd always have one at the shop. I recommend learning to do your own bike maintenance. Most of it is pretty easy. Replacing cables is cake as long as they aren't internally routed.

/knowing is half the battle.

I got free tune ups when I bought me bikes. Extra; but, for the price of one tune up I get a lifetime.

I would say once a year.

LBS for a tune up? Never, I do all my own work. With all the self help on the internet and the cost of parts, I can't afford to have somebody else do the work.

I also feel safer when I know I've done the work right.

Sheldon

I know just enough to be dangerous. Every few years I enter the LBS just to be sure they're still in business.

I know very very little about bike maintenance. None compared to PH. The MS 150 requires a bike inspection annually before you ride, so when I take my bike in for that I usually have the LBS tune it all up then too, and they give an MS 150 discount. My bike is new and doesn't get the wear and tear you guys put on yours so I haven't had to replace anything* yet. wrecked parts, pedals and tubes don't count