I just finished a VERY wet/monsoonlike ride. My bike and I are soaked. I think I can handle me, but what on my bike MUST be cleaned and dried? Am I too much into wal-mart bike mentality and my bike is nice enough that it won't rust? Most of my bike will be cleaned anyway as its very muddy but I was just curious if there is anything I should do immediately. In the meantime, its drip-drying in my kitchen.

thanks,
bike maintenance challenged in texas

ps, I did change my first flat tire today! do I get a merit badge?

I'm not sure. I typically just let mine drip dry in the kitchen as well . Mine actually was just drip drying this morning after my ride.

That's a good question though. I wonder what or resident bikers will say.

My bike shop guy said if I were to get my bike muddy, to spray it with Simply Green, hose the hell out of it, and let it drip dry. So I'd think it's safe to let it drip dry.

I'd spray it with Simple Green or Castrol Degreaser, then hose it off & let it drip dry. Try to keep the pressure low, and don't aim the hose directly at those places where you don't want moisture entering (bottom bracket, headset, axles, top of seat tube). To speed the drying process, you can use a synthetic chamois (like The Absorber) to pick up excess water. I'd also consider cleaning & re-lubing your chain.

Congrats on fixing your first flat, BTW. :thumbsup:

I don't know anything about bikes, but I know a mad biker who says he wipes his bike down after every ride, no matter what the weather conditions. I think he uses something specific too.... I'll ask him tomorrow for ya.

I usually just hose it down afterwards, and let it drip dry in the garage. I do dry off the seat.

The frame of your bike is aluminum and won't rust. Some of the components have some steel in them though, but most of that is coated with a chrome finish. The chain is about the only thing that is going to get rusty and it's time to clean that anyway if you've been out riding in the rain.

Citrus-based cleaners are inexpensive and not corrosive on Aluminum. Look for something called Orange Blast next time you're in Wal-Mart or Target. That's what I use.

Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak

Or so says my rear cassette/deraileur...perhaps I didn't dry it as well as need be last week? Or this morning??? Do I need to regrease the chain maybe? can I get a live-in bike mechanic?

I'm not a professional bike mechanic, but it sounds to me like you just need to lubricate the chain. The lubrication probably should be done as soon as it drys.
Sorry, Houston is a little far of a commute

Health Guru
I was told after its been cleaned and dried to give everything a good spray with a dry silicone spray and that will help to displace any moisture that's left and will also aid cleaning next time, you should be able to get it in most cycle shops.

the bf who used to ride religiously and still rides more than the avereage person always lubes his chain before a ride. and i think he usually will clean the cassette and the deraileur after a super muddy/wet ride, but i dont think anything more than a dry rag is used....
on a side note, the bfs old boss at the bike shop uses cheap (dollar store brand) furniture polish to clean his bike with...just spray it on and wipe off with a dry rag...