I've been interested in getting a road bike for a while now, but I don't really know what to look for. What would you recommed for a first bike? I just want something for cross-training and recreational riding. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What you get is mostly determined by price range. If you're looking at an entry level road bike, it's $500-600 new, and for that level they're pretty much all the same. How much are you looking to spend?

I was thinking around $600, but do you think it would be worth it to just wait a little longer and purchase a better bike?

I think an entry level road bike would be fine for what you want it for.

I agree. I have an entry level and it's plenty for recreational use and commuting. It's always nice to get better equipment, but you'll be fine with an entry level. I'd suggest going to your local bike shops (LBS) and trying some different models out. Since they're all basically the same for this price range, I'd go with the shop you feel most comfortable with - some provide incentives like free gear or 6 months of maintenance when you purchase a bike. If you're not doing your own maintenance, that's pretty valuable.

I went to a bike shop today and looked at what they had. Their road bikes started at $650, and I looked at ones up to about $1,000. I'm probably going to end up getting a $750-$900 bike. Would their be anything to look for in a bike in this price range? Anyone have any suggestions for a bike that they've found to be good that's around that price? Thanks.

Triple chain ring.
Basic bike computer.
I got a trainer too so I can ride inside in the winter.