How do you cut corners, if you cut corners at all? The 100k paycheck thread made me think about corner cutting.

How do you save money?

Me: Instead of new books, I buy used. (Books I want to keep, like cookbooks or series books) I buy drug store makeup (if at all). I use coupons.

I drink cheap beer.... not THE cheapest but cheap.

coupons
buy clothes out of season
brown bag my lunch
car pool

Right now, i'm not doing a good job of it. I have cut out most DVD and book purchases.

Eat office food at all opportunities... 'cept that low-carb Skippy..blech.

Only being paid once a month, I really need to budget and shop wisely.

FOOD:

Make a shopping list and STICK TO IT.
Buy the store brand. (Even with a coupon, usually the SB is cheaper)
Invest in a freezer and buy meats, cheese, etc. in bulk.
Buy rice, pasta, cereal etc. in bulk.
Resist convenience foods and invest in storage containers.
Pack your breakfast, lunch or dinner. Resist the drivethru.
Shop at farmer's markets closer to the end of the day when they want to get rid of stuff.
Find out what days the butcher in the grocery store cuts new meat, you will usually find deals in the case on that day.
Budget for eating out only once or twice a month.

Clothing:

Thrift shops and consignment stores are a must.
NEVAH NEVAH pay retail for anything.
Borrow for one-time occasions if you can.
Cut outgrown jeans into shorts.
Learn how to mend holes, hems and sew buttons.
Learn the fine art of stain removal.
Wear an apron when you cook and put a napkin in your lap when you eat.
Buy tights instead of panty hose. They stand up to abuse better.

Learn to press your own shirts.

Housewares:

Garage sales
Thrift stores
Keep your ears open when people move, etc.
Resist the new gadgets. (Except George Foreman. He rocks)

Technology:

Wait, Wait.......wait........................wait.......wait......ok buy it now.

I have a tracfone. I pay as I go and there is no monthly bill.

I know there is more.

You forgot the BIG ONE....make your own food whenever possible....like PICKLES!

you haven't seen me cook. :wink: Biggest corner cutter? hmm..... I deliver all my bills in town by hand, rather than mail them. That saves me the cost of a stamp about 5 times a month. (That's all I could think of at the moment)

Wha? No dumpster diving? I saw a guy dive for a child's car seat on the way to work.

I shovel rather than pay someone to do it...or spend it on gas for the cheap sonofabun snowblower that my hubby bought me. Did I mention that grass is his duty...so he bought a nice nifty john deere riding mower.....and what does he do? hires someone to do it.....I digress.

I ALWAYS hit the clearance racks first......and never pay full retail for any clothing. Well, once I did and hid the outfit under the bed for 2 months because I was ashamed of myself :oops:

I've curbed book buying, video rental, movie purchases.

I buy food on sale whenever I can, shop at Sams and that saves us a lot (particularly bread, milk, sugar, cereal, detergents), I pack the kids lunches rather than let them buy them at school (Libby packs them actually) and I wash & press John's shirts rather than take them to the drycleaners.

I don't buy clothes often enough for myself that it really matters, but I try to hit sales for the kids.

In Germany, this was a tradition! In fact, the newspapers would publish the days that the different towns around had their "big trash day" so you could do curbside "shopping". I forget what it was called, but it was a big deal, and it was like a free garage sale day--cars lined up for blocks to "shop".

Warsteiner - "Life is too short for cheap beer." Good topic, though: Cheap Beer And The People Who Drink It.