I have a girlfriend who likes to ride a bike. I want to surprise her and buy her a new bike. I am not sure what size is right for her. I do not know much about bikes. So will you please help me to find the right frame size for a girl?

You can take her old bike as a reference point. Measure the distance from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat on her old bike. This assumes that she has her seat adjusted to the proper height. This measurement, along with her inseam measurement and a tape measure can be of great help when you go to look for new bikes. How you are going to take her inseam is up to you! Ha! Ha! Multiply her inseam by .65. This will give you a good estimate of her road bike size for bikes measured center to center. So if her inseam is 76 cm, she will fit a 49cm road bike. Also, many road bikes are measured center to top. To determine how to fit these bikes, multiply her inseam by .67. Subtract an additional 10cm to get her mountain bike frame size. Therefore, if she fits a 49cm road bike (c-c), she will fit a 39cm - or a 15" - mountain bike. A top tube length has also to be taken into consideration. Given the same top tube length, the bigger bike may be more comfortable because it will allow her to get the bars up higher. You have to keep in mind that women have longer legs and shorter top tubes than men. Most bikes are designed for men, and women often have a hard time finding a bike that will fit them well. Fortunately, some manufacturers are making models specifically designed for women nowadays. Once you have the right size frame, she can fine tune the fit with different stems and bars.