I've been looking around on ebay for a mountain bike. I'm not really sure what's a good bike, but I don't want to spend more than 200. A friend of mine just got a really nice bike (that's what he says, and he used to be hardcore into mountain biking so I kinda trust his judgment) for like 300. Suggestions?

Man, if you find something in that price range, let me know! I have seen nothing (new) under $2000 Can. :( Definitely too rich for my blood.

I started looking for a mt bike on ebay around Thanksgiving and then found one locally instead about a month ago. My ebay shopping experience showed that most of the decent bikes for the average or casual rider go for between 300-400 bucks. mtbr.com says the Gary Fisher Tassajara is one of the best mt bikes around, and I've seen several in the last couple months for between 3-4 hundred. Also, don't forget 50 bucks or more for shipping, unless you're able to go pick it up.

id go with a local shop before ebay any day...if you can find a smaller one, (not chain) you can probably find a used one. or try and outdoor supply place. the REIs here have a for sale board for public use.

from what i remember i think a decent, entry level mtn bike can start around 300. and alot of times, there really is a difference in that 100 between the "cheap" bike and the "nice" one.