I've been thinking about getting an insulin pump, but I don't really know how they work. I would like to be free of constant testing and needle sticks, even though the injection pen is nicer than having to draw the insulin from the bottle. I don't know if I trust it to give the proper dose, I mean, do they ever give the wrong dose? My uncle likes his but he never even use to check his blood sugar so he really needed it. Has anyone had one and then gone back to the pen or shots?

Hi Guest,

You still have a needle and catheter going into your skin.  That's how the insulin is delivered.

You will still have to check your levels too.

Basically, you chose the dose and the pump will administer it.  It can also be programmed to deliver a continuous low dose to help maintain your level or a bolus (bigger dose) to be delivered just after a meal.

Talk to your doctor.

As medic-dan said, the insulin is delivered via needle catheter under your skin. You CAN check your blood sugar the normal way with needle sticks, but there are some pumps available that will check your sugar for you. They can alert you when your sugar is getting too high or too low. It all depends on how much control you want over your insulin and blood sugar checks as to whether or not you want a simple pump that delivers the insulin or if you want one that does your checks for you. Some people opt for the later due to a busy lifestyle or because they simply forget to check their blood sugar at the proper times.

There's a needle under your skin and the insulin just constantly flows through it. I like it because I don't have to think about my blood sugar ever, unless I know that I'm going to eat something really sugary and then I just press a button and it gives me a little extra dose of insulin. I still have to do the glucose testing thing, but I'm going to get one of the machines that just checks it for me and then delivers the right amount of insulin all by itself.