Hello, I'm curious about insulin dosages. How much insulin do you use? Is there a certain amount everyone should be on or does that change with time and when you were diagnosed with diabetes? I just get my prescription filled (I'm type 2) and don't pay attention to it. I don't know if I'm really okay with my dosages. Sometimes my blood sugar is high (not to high) and sometimes it's too low after I eat. I have cut back on my food intake because I'm trying to lose weight. Can someone tell me how much you use and what you daily routine is like? Thanks.

Hello, Yes, it is important for you to know how much insulin you need. Also it is important to know when to take it. The situation is, your dosage is generally peculiar to you. Your doctor will determine this but it may take some trial and error. According to the literature, if you have type 2 diabetes, your doctor may give you half a unit of insulin for each kilogram of body weight you have. This would be for a daily dose. That would be your initial dose since not a lot is know about your diet and exercise and what your particular needs are. Much of this depends on how healthy you are at the time. If you have any other health issues that could affect your initial dosage. Type 2 diabetics tend to suffer from insulin resistance. With resistance, your pancreas tends to make more insulin to compensate however down the road away your insulin production will decrease. Your doctor will have to alter your dosage when that occurs. Make sure to see your doctor regularly or talk with your diabetes manager so they can keep track of your progress. Keep good records on your blood glucose levels daily and that will provide information about your insulin levels. Hope that was helpful.