I had a neat test done today, even if I don't completely understand it. I had my Metabolic rate and VO2Max tested today.

According to my treadmill test, I'm not working to my capabilities. (the shock) I could run faster than I do, and I guess now I'll get a heart rate monitor and work on it. My VO2Max was in the excellent zone at Peak and my Anaerobic Threshold was in the good range.

Most importantly, my metabolism is fast and I'm not eating near enough a day which most likely explains why I can't lose this last 10 pounds. I like any test that says I can eat more!!

Now, once I figure out what all this means, I'll be much speedier, or at least better fed.

Kewl. Can you tell us more about the test? what did it entail, how much did it cost, what did they do to you, how long did it last???

I'm thinking about getting something similar done here in Atlanta and would love to learn more.

The metabolism test was easy. You just have to breathe into a machine while relaxing for several minutes.

The VO2 Max test was slightly more work. I did mine on the treadmil, but bikers can use a bike. We talked about what my 5k PR time was so she had an idea about the speed to work up to, then she began with a 2 minute warm up that moved into a slow run. She then placed a mask on me so I breathed directly into the machine that would calculate my Anaerobic Threshold and my Max Heart Rate. (I was also wearing a heart monitor). She increased the speed until she got to my 5k pace and then every minute she would increase the incline. The machine will find your AT and after that you just run for a max heart rate. I went for about 8 minutes and my VO2 Max still hadn't leveled out, but since I couldn't move into a higher category, she began the cool down. (I think if I was serious about being a competitive runner we would have continued, but my goal was just for improvement, and we had enough info) The whole thing took less than 15 min.

For both tests, I paid $125, but she was giving a huge discount to our training group since so many of us signed up for the test after she talked at our last training.

I'd recommend having it done. I know I won't ever be an elite, or even competitive runner, but at least I know there is still room for improvement!

Kattzoo, That is awesome! I have wanted to have a stress test w/ VO2 max for a long time now. what kind of place did you go to, to do this? My regular doctor had no ideas. (if it isn't a pill he usually doesn't) As far as an HRM goes, it is great and can really help you with your training. I am on my second one so far and love it. (I outgrew the first one. read - I needed more gagets) Thanks! Paul