I am 4 months pregnant and everything is ok with my pregnancy. My question is about MRSA. Few days ago I was visited by my cousin who had MRSA in her wound on her arm. Ever since then I can’t stop thinking that this could have affected my baby. Is it possible?

It is normal that you are concerned. I will try to help you by giving you information that you need. MRSA means methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus and staphylococcus is a bacteria, which normally lives on the surface of our bodies causing no harm or problem. However, the only difference is that MRSA does not respond to most antibiotics. Because of this, if it contaminates wounds or internal organs it can produce serious infections. They are difficult to eradicate and potentially fatal in those people who are immune deficient or chronically sick. In normal healthy people MRSA is of no great significance in normal healthy people. It is not a problem even if it exists on the skin. People who are most vulnerable to its affects are people in hospitals on ventilators in intensive care, for example. There is a possibility that you could become a carrier of the bug if your cousin had MRSA in the wound. Because childbirth may involve medical procedures and the potential for an episiotomy, or a vaginal tear, this would put you at more risk. I advise you to go to your doctor and consult with him.