Hi, I have been tested for MRSA and the test came out to be positive. The doctor said that this doesn’t mean much and that MRSA isn’t dangerous for me since my immune system is functioning properly. However he told me that it could pose a possible danger to pregnant women and unborn infants if they are infected with it. My wife is in her third month of pregnancy, and I'm very scared about her and our child. What are the possible consequences of being infected wit MRSA in pregnancy and what should we do to prevent that?

Although pregnant women are by rule more susceptible to bacterial infections and the effects of those infections can be dangerous for the normal development of the pregnancy, it doesn’t have to mean that your wife or your child will be necessarily be in danger during the pregnancy itself. This situation could be dangerous and could get out of the control if your wife’s immune system gets impaired for any reason during the pregnancy, in that case MRSA can cause congenital anomalies of the fetus. Other danger is that the child could get infected during the delivery, and since its immune system is still undeveloped that could put the newborn in great danger. The common therapy for MRSA is the antibiotic muciprocin that is applied on the surface of your skin and inside of your nose where MRSA usually resides. If muciprocin doesn’t work there are some alternatives, stronger antibiotics, but those can be dangerous for the pregnant women and can put the pregnancy in great danger. You should consult your physician or your wife’s gynecologist for further treatment and prevention methods. Best wishes and good luck to all the three of you.

If what you're really asking is: "can a MRSA staph infection cause miscarriage?", then the answer is no, a staph infection during pregnancy doesn't actually increase the risk of miscarriage at all. What it does do is leave the person open to other infections, which might be a lot more dangerous. So, it's necessary to take a MRSA/ staph infection during pregnancy seriously and follow the prescription to the letter. If in doubt, you can of course always ask questions about how safe the prescribed antibiotic is during pregnancy, because not all are, but the treating doctor will take that into account. 

Hi I'm Jennifer. I am 17 years old, and 7 months pregnant. I just found out today i have mrsa. I have huge boils and scars all down my legs from the infection. I've had it for a few months but none of my doctors could figure out what it was. They finally tested me and sure enough I was positive. I've had this since I was about 4 and a half to five months pregnant. could this be problem for my baby? Is everything going to be okay??

ive been in and out the hospital for the last 2 weeks with what doctors are calling cellulitis and 2 days ago after it being lanced because 2 weeks of antibiotics did nothing they tested the site for MRSA and i havent got the results back yet i hope your ok and me too

I am 13 weeks pregnant and I have had resistant staff for about 7 months now. Before I became pregnant, I had them non-stop back-to-back, and they would get so big and so bad that I would have to go to the hospital to get them drained and packed every other day, sometimes every day. But since I have been pregnant, I haven't had any, except one before I found out I was pregnant. When they cultured it, they found out that the antibiotic that will knock it out is sulfa drugs, such as septra, which I am severly allergic to. So now I have to go to a special doctor that only treats infections because all the other doctors are too stupid.

I am now 24 weeks pregnant and had my first round of MRSA at about 14 weeks. I ended up in the hospital with cellulitus too. They lanced, drained and did a culture.

I am on my third round of Bactrim DS in about 45 days, not to mention the clindomycin I was on in the hospital.

Does anyone else find these sores PAINFUL? OUCH is all I have to say. The healing process takes FOREVER too! I'm not a happy pregnant gal!

Hi, I am 10 weeks pregnant and have MRSA. It worries me to think that my baby could get this infection when I deliver. Am I or my baby at any really dangerous risks with this infection? Please help put my worries to rest.

I am now 18 weeks pregnant, and had a (extrmely painful) sore on my leg. I had the doctor culture it because both my husband and i had MRSA over the summer (which was believed to have bee treated). I had the sore cultured, and lucky me, it is MRSA. Does anyone know what if any antibiotics (that this responds to) are safe during pregnancy? Also, I am now very worried aboujt my baby, as well as delivery, and can't find a whole lot of information about it. Thanks, and good luck.

my sister-in-law is 15 weeks pregnant and came down with staph-cellulitus on her leg. It was tested and came back positive for MRSA. The doctor told her that this could potentially be harmful to herself and my niece. He started her on Cipro and Bactrim. I have heard that the baby could be in danger of contracting this during delivery. Is this if the baby is to be born vaginally? Is there less of a chance of the baby getting it if she has a c-section? Is there anything I can tell her that would make her feel better?

I was 7 months pregnant and got 2 boils on my leg. The boils were cultured and I had MRSA. The doctor gave me Keflex which is resistant to it so the boils kept coming through my whole pregnancy. They said that they couldn't give me any stronger medication until after the baby was born. Well, I had a vaginal delivery and 4 weeks later my little girl was sent to the emergency room with a boil on her chin. She has been in the hospital for 6 days while they give her antibiotics (Clindymicin). Even if you take antibiotics, the doctor told me that it could be living on your skin so now I am afraid that when my doctor comes home I'll give it to her again. He recommended we see an Infectious Disease doctor to make sure it is gone and take the necessary precautions (e.g. nasal antibiotic spray).

If you are pregnant with MRSA, I would definitely talk to your doctor about the chances of the baby getting it. It happened to me and the whole ordeal has been very scary and it is not over yet...

barbara wrote:

Barbara, I hate to hear that you have this MRSA and are allergic to the antibiotics that could treat it. I am glad that you are now going to a "special" Dr. to get treatment. I to have some reservations as to your comment that the other Dr.s are "Too stupid". Statements like that are out of order and can only make you appear to be difficult to work with. I understand that going for so long without a diagnosis is stressful and disappointing, but this is an infection that is difficult and sometimes impossible to treat. a little restraint on throwing out the insults will absolutely get you greater return in the end.

Spedi wrote:

I can relate I have the same problem when I was pregnant 8 years ago I was also diagnosed with MRSA I would have the infection under my left breast , in my right armpit and ouch on my tail bone I must of been lanced atleast 10 times during pregnancy ..... Then I met Dr. Green Dermatolagist from Branford CT and he advised me to take Tetracycline 250 mg 4 times a day for 1 week then 3 times a day for 1 week then 2 times a day for 1 week then 1 time a day for 1 week it does relieve the pain I also have taken Bactrim for 21 days along with the Tetracycline I would take the Bactrim in the am then again at night for 21 days and so far im 6 months without any more break outs !!!!! Be extemely careful being pregnant with MRSA even though I cant prove it I know my 7 year old son's allergies was caused from me having MRSA he has allergies to Proteins , Tree Nuts, Peanuts Soy , Dairy , Mold and Dust also when he was born he had lung problems Ive never smoked a cig in my life so not from that !!!! Just beware Get on Tetracycline try it for 4 weeks then just one a day i bet youll get better good luck !!!!

Sweetie I agree with you with all that is in me. These "doctors" have no clue to what the heck they are doing. Most of them are there for a pay check. I have had staph infection since last novemeber. At times I get three to four of them at one time. I have been in and out of the hospital one to many times, just for every "doctor" to tell me they have no clue to what it is. I didn't know what it was but they are the ones getting paid, not to meantion they went to school for. How is it that no one knows what it is when it shows up. My seven yr old son contracted it for me and his doctor knew exacty what it was and treated it. He had it once and never had another one but me on the other hand, I still get them. I a now pregnant my immune system is rejecting all the medicines giving to me. I write this because I agree with you completely these "doctors" are stupid. You would never believe half of the things the told me what they think it could possibly be. So yes these "doctors" are stupid!!!

Hi, I had the same problem for 18 months, with very painful boils, that just grew and grew, i had a couple removed which left me with huge holes the size of a golf ball, which had to be packed every day for nearly 3 months. they went away for a little while, then i moved and they came back, my new doctor was amazing and i was told i had PVL MRSA,the health protection agency where straight on the case. I was so relieved to finally have an answer, i was in isolation on IV for a week, then continued treatment at home. I have been clear for about 5 months, although am worried it may come back now i am pregnant. You have to keep on trying for answers, it took me a long time in and out of hospital and doctors visits to get the truth. I am left with big scars all over my body, because no one would get to the bottom of what was causing it. Good luck