I guess it 'could' make sense to run in the morning since that is when every race starts?

What say you?

I recently swtiched to running in the morning, so I'm interested in what everyone has to say. I drag my butt through a run in the morning, so on the weekend when I do my long run it feels like I am on fire! Just because I've had time to get up, have some breakfast and lounge about for a bit.

I don't think it's as big a factor as some make it out to be. Probably the week prior to a particular race, it's a good idea to log your runs at nearly the same time of the day as the upcoming race. But otherwise, I think it's best to go with when you feel your best or how your schedule works. I've posted before about using whether you're a night owl or early bird to your advantage. For me, early mornings are slow and it's hard to push a tempo. As the day goes on, I can handle harder runs with noonhour and especially evenings being the time to log some quality. So when my schedule calls for an easy run or long slow distance, I'll purposely get up early for those runs, but anything I hope to hit a mark on, I do later in the day.

I don't know Joel. I guess it could. Since it starts your day off and your are used to running at that time of the day.

Why do you ask?

Good question, I don't think there is really a good answer. I always ran in the morning, because that was the only time that I could.

As for racing, a good stretch and warm up should get you ready to race.

There's a significant difference between my 6 AM pace and my 12 PM pace. I wish I knew how to overcome that difference because most of the races I run start in the AM.

Make sure you are warmed up sufficiently before the 6 AM run and you'll probably see those times come down.

Just read it in an article in a 'certain magazine'

the best thing to help any race time is running...am and/or pm and all points in between...

---
megawill

Since I run in the fairly early a.m. (5:30-5:45 start time) I feel like I've gotten to sleep in and rest up prior to running on race day. I think it's a benefit myself.

I've come to this conclusion as well...I think I'd be able to do morning runs for like two weeks but then I'd fall back into my evening runs...

Depends on the race 5k and under it only hurts your performance everything over 5k it helps to do just a few short miles in the morning and a few stride outs to shake off the spider webs.