Orange juice, Apple juice, etc.? I bought some Apple Juice for something a little different, and I got it without sugar. Is it as healthy as they make it sound, or is it still better to drink water?

Not really. It is still a lot of simple sugar. Also, a lot of the fibor and flavonoids are stripped out.

i am a juice nazi. the commercially bottled kind is sugar laden and very calorie dense.

it's just got to reek havoc on your insulin levels too, i know this from living with diabetes. his blood sugar can be 45 and he takes 3 oz of OJ and it will be 250 in less than an hour, and continuing to rise. it's great for emergencies but we never drink juice for anything else.

i can just imagine what a normal body goes thru trying to metabolize 8 ounces of orange juice 8O i'm thinking your pancreas works OT to level out that blast, again speaking from the diabetic point of view . it just can't be a good thing to drink regularly for anyone. sorry.

i understand carrot and cabbage juice (made with a juicer) are very healthy but still the carrot juice is full of simple sugar so you're dealing with the same insulin spike.

it's aggravating to me to see how america is told OJ is a health food. it really isn't. i guess it's better than vodka though.

sometimes i will put an oz of juice in my water for flavor, but that's it.

What about if I mix a little bit of OJ with the vodka?

:thumbsup: Now that's healthy!

Eat the apple instead. Mucho better.

How did I miss this. 8O A little juice is OK as long as you are getting your water intake as well.

Juice is fruit without the fiber. It's often sold with little more than high fructose corn syrup and water, with some "natural flavoring".

STAY AWAY!

If you're serious about liquid, start with high quality pure water. The move to a sports beverage with maltodextrin as a first ingredient in a 5-7% solution. Add protein at a 4:1 carbohydrate-to-protein ratio. Drink up during the run.

wait, what about homemade OJ? The kind from the fresh oranges that ya squeeze?
That is what i use on long runs w/water to get some calories

You're not getting the fiber that way. Just east the oranges.
I don't think you'll keel over and die from drinking apple (or any kind) juice, but it is about as equivalent to eating an apple as eating carrot cake is like eating a carrot. I think of it as junk food.

Just to throw a monkey wrench in:

What about people like me who can't digest plant fiber? Is the juice a good way to get vitamin C?? Is it more soluble/usable by the body than a vitamin?

So, since I can't eat fruit without it being cooked to death (thereby losing all its nutritive properties) is juice a good alternative or not?

i would say yes. juice can provide some vitamins too -- i mean it isn't completely HI-C
i've always considered it too calorie dense and sugary for me and my kids.
i just heard a dietician on TV say 4 ounces of juice a day is about all she would recommend, but again that isn't considering special dietary needs, such as yours. she endorsed juice specifically for its vitamin content, yes; especially organic juice which is very expensive.

That is good to hear. Although I probably won't be buying organic anything anytime soon.

Bad choice. Too acidic. Worse, fructose is the wrong sugar (in most fruits including oranges) or "carbohydrate". Other bad sugars: sucrose, high fructose corn syrup. You want a 5% maltodextrin in water drink, with a 4:1 carb-to-protein ratio during the run. The protein should be cold-processed whey. End of story.

I agree, it is better to drink water than buying orange, apple juice or other juices sold in the market today. It is full of sugar & some ingredients that is not good for our health. they are there because the manufacturer are thinking profit not about the buyer's health.

Better yet prepare your fresh juice, at least you know what's on it.

If you want to have dose of vitamin C, i recommend drinking pure lemon juice upon waking up in the morning. I've been doing this for long time and it helps my immune system stronger. I rarely get sick but if i am, I bounce back immediately.

Hope this helps.

Regards