Hi, I have been physically active all of my life. I exercise and go jogging on regular bases. Last week I found out that I am two months pregnant. It was wonderful news, but immediately I started thinking about my exercises. I worry that if I stop working out I will put on a lot of weight. I didn't talk to my OBGYN about this, because I think that he will not understand. Could you tell me how far in pregnancy can I exercise and go running?

Hi, for many years doctors believed that pregnant women should do nothing, but sit on the couch and relax. Fortunately, this opinion is now considered obsolete and doctors recommend some kind of physical activity to almost all expecting mothers. The trick is only to determine what kinds of exercises are best for you. Basically, you can continue with your exercise program as long as you feel comfortable. For instance, because you have run for a long time, you shouldn’t stop now when you are pregnant. Moderate running is an excellent exercise for the first and second trimester. You should pay attention to your heart rate and to the water intake during and after the run. Never strain your self to much, if you feel tired rest for a while. When running becomes to stressful, you should concentrate on low impact aerobic to keep you in shape. Exercising during pregnancy will not only keep you in shape, but will also help you to have a quicker and less painful delivery. However, you shouldn't do anything before you talk to your OBGYN. The two of you can compose a workout program that would be best for you and your baby.