I have been suffering from disc herniation for more than 6 months. I felt severe pain and thought that nothing could help me. My doctor told me that solution for my problem is nucleoplasty. Even though he told me the basics of this procedure, I want to know more.

Nucleoplasty is a minimally invasive procedure developed for patients with disc herniation, combining disc decompression with thermal treatment. The nucleoplasty device is a catheter that creates a small, highly localized plasma field and it is percutaneously inserted into the intervertebral disc through a stylet. The location is confirmed using fluoroscopy and in nucleoplasty the catheter is activated and gentle movements are made to the catheter as it lies within the disc space. In this way, small amounts of disc material may be ablated within the disc space and disc decompression may be effected. Nucleoplasty is percutaneous and does not require any incision. It is most useful in patients with nerve root irritation due to smaller disc bulges or contained ruptures and it is usually performed on an outpatient basis. To reduce discomfort during the procedure local anesthesia and mild sedation may be used. Nucleoplasty patients will be awake to provide important feedback to the physician and the procedure lasts approximately one hour. Therapy consists of creating a series of channels in your disc and then thermally treating the tissue immediately adjacent to the wand. I hope that your procedure will be successful.