3/6/13 I had a bovine pulmonary valve replacement. I am moving around and going on 2 mile walks daily. It's been 3 weeks since I was released from the hospital. I am a 24 year old female and have been off pain meds for 2 weeks, Advil works just fine. i almost feel 100% recovered expect for the slight pain in my ribs, won't be lifting anything for another 3 weeks. They glued me shut so scars are the least of your problems these days. Good luck to anyone that has open heart!

hi im 20 years old and ive recently got a triply by pass heart surgery it really depends on how you go about your progress ive was 3 days over the operation and pushed myself to walk again it's very sore on your chest because they break your breast bone but im 2 weeks out of hospital and i feel as good as new ..........................

Thank you for your reply, it was very encouraging for me. I have to have an open heart surgery on June 3, 2013 to replace my aortic valve and I find it very difficult to make a decision on what kind of valve do I want. Do I want a tissue valve that has to be replaced every decade or so, or do I want a mechanical one and have to live on blood thinners for the rest of my life? I'm a very healthy 45 years old mom of 2, pretty fit with no other health issues except the valve, but I was born like that. I really don't know what should i choose? What did you choose, I assume the tissue one since you mentioned another surgery in the future?

I had open heart surgery on June 14 and was weak and exhausted for just under 3 months. I had valve replacement and a bypass . Today I feel normal in the sense that I can once again feel alert and interested in remaining active all day long. I am still very weak and a quarter mile walk is all I can barely manage. I am told that it takes 6 months and lots of exercise to recover. No one will tell me the quality of physical recovery I can expect so I'm hoping for the best.

My Tom had triple by-pass surgery the end of June. He is doing good, but having trouble in both legs. He went in on a Wed. afternoon. Thursday they found that his artery in his neck was clogged 95%. They put a stent in. They were worried they may have to operate there and that would put off his by-pass, but the stent worked. He had his by-pass on Monday and was home by Friday. He bartends at a small bar and went back to work the middle of July. But found that when he walked to the mail box at home (about 30 yds round trip) his legs feel like they are about to give out. He had a test done this past Wed. and now they want to do a sonogram this coming week. Hoping it isn't anything he has to be in the hospital for.

I was really surprised how fast he was able to get around. He is 56, and used to do concrete work. When he got home he spit up a lot of flem. They gave him this plastic thing that helps relieve the congestion so he didn't cough. He still uses it from time to time. His chest still hurts him some, but IBprofen helps with that. The thing he hates the most is having to take pills everyday.. LOL

I am sure your dad will do fine. Will be praying for you all.

I am 62 years old man. I just 4 weeks ago came back from the hospital after replacing my main valve... Well First week didn`t do much, but I started the week after a 1/4 of a mile on a speed 1.8~2.0 on my treadmill, last week I went up to 2.00 and 1/2 a mile speed now speed is 2.00and by the time I finish it gradually turn it up to 2.5,.I hope I can get my voice back as I am a singer, so far I`m not very happy the way I sound(no long notes, get tired easy) I follow my doctors advises and the Coumadin(warfarin) Dr,......Watch out your diet .God be with you!!!

I am 62 and had a tipple by-pass.  The surgery went well but recovery was something I never expected.  I spent 7 days in the hospital then when I got home, I found that I could not sleep on my left side or on my back.  If I lay on my left side, I could feel pain in two areas. It was as though I could feel the exect place where the arteries had been reconnected.  Sleepin on my back was not painful but it was uncomfortable.  It has now been 90 days and I still feel some pain in my sternum and a burning sensation on the left side of my chest.  At times, I get a pain along my collar bone.  The best way to go into this type of surgery is not to know too much about it.  If you need it you have no choice.  Good Luck.

HI. I had mine six weeks ago. But, I had to go back twice to the ER and was rehospitalized for complications. So, I hear from the surgeons that I need to be patient and rest and try to recuperate. I hear it's going to be about six months, so your dad, bless his soul, should be up and around in a couple of months, without complications. Good luck to him and all of you!

Hi Ruthie,
I had open heart surgery on Feb. 10th, 2014. The beginning of his recovery will be rough(a month) but he will make it through. Recovery depends on a number of things.(He will be in the ICU for 2-3 days so don't be afraid of that) Age: (I'm 58 and in good health, don't smoke and only have occasional drink) Health: how good was his health before surgery. What kind of surgery he is having( I had a double bypass and had the main value to my aorta replaced). He will need exercise everyday (very important) he must walk everyday. (The first day after surgery the nurse made me get up to walk, I thought she was crazy but it is important. I only walked about 30 feet the first time). I started walking in time of minutes, his body will tell him when to stop but he must go slow at first. I went from building up to 30 minutes in about 6 weeks to now I do over an hour and do some light exercise. Diet:(If your eating habits consisted of eating healthy the recovery is faster) He must stay on a cardio diet the rest of his life now. You can cheat every now and then but he must do this. No SALT it is very bad for him. His doctor will give him a proper diet to follow. He needs to drink a lot of water (Bottled)
It is important for him to follow doctor's orders. He will have a number of doctor appointments after surgery and he will be taken a lot of medicine. Someone must be sure that he is taken it at the proper time and he must eat before taking them.
He is going to need help in the beginning getting up out of chairs or bed or toilet, but if he is strong willed he will do it himself in no time.
Just love him and he will be fine.

Bill
OC California

I had open heart surgery 2 weeks ago I'm 49 years old. Not to scare you but I've been reading some of the statements on here. And I think I'm a man's man but the pain is unbelievable. Having trouble breathing and the pressure on my chest is crazy. But they say it gets better k pray every day that it does. Just being honest in how I fill.

Im five weeks out from aortic valve replacement. At 47 I chose the artificial valve(bio-valves may only last 10 years). Reason:bi-cuspid valve(birth defect). On the 2nd day in ICU my kidneys failed(not uncommon after surgery). I was on 4 hours of dialisis for four days in a row. This actually happened after they took me out of ICU. So I was up until that point recovering really well. 5 days in my heart shot up to 200 bpm.(not uncommon after open heart surgery) besides these two hiccups, I was recovering quite well. Total hospital stay 7 days due to these incidents. The first week home was the hardest, it gets easier each week. Use the pain pills to help you sleep. The hospital was crazy with nurses coming in every 45 minutes to draw blood, take BP etc.. So my sleep patterns were out of wack. Don't get to concerned about exercise (walking) until week 4. The more you do this the sooner and better you'll feel. Take naps when your tired. Watch your salt intake. I just washed my car today and should be driving in one more week. Everyone recovers differently but all in all I feel much better and can't wait until I can go to the gym and work out. Im shooting for 12 weeks after surgery as my gym date.

He will have pain for about 3-4 weeks. Bur total recovery is 6 month. But you should be aware of the mental recovery. Some people get depressed because the realize that they are mortal and have near death experienced. I ha quadruple bypass 3 month ago, but still have depression
Hope this will help you

It's been 4 wks quintuple bypass age 60 healthy male. No real issues at the moment except Costochondritis. Still in the recovery stage. Ran into a few problems trying to mash potatoes. Walked too far without resting and waved arms above head a bit. Have to be more careful not to overdo. Go slow! Easy does it.

hi.well done!! hpw did you go about to quit smoking

I hope not,I'm a janitor and will be 60 in mar, have had a heart murmur since I was 5 after having rhuematic fever twice, my boss wants me back probably in less then 6 wks & I doubt that since I mop & vacumn 6 nites a wk.