Hi, I am 25 years old male and I am practicing body building for more than a year. I am not so experienced in this but I was very satisfied with my results till now. I would like to trigger my muscle growth so I would like to know how many sets are required for it. Thank you.

Hi, I am also training body building for several years and I can tell you something from my personal experience. When I want to trigger growth of my muscles I do 2 to 3 sets for muscle group and not more that 5 reps. It is very stimulating for my muscles and they react very good. However you have to see what is the best for your muscles.

Do a Google search for "High Intensity Training" or HIT training with the late Mike Mentzer. He's written extensive material dealing specifically with the original posted question.

The logical starting point is 1 set, if that's not enough try 2. If you start with any number other than 1, you won't know which way to adjust.

Don't follow the same routine for more than 4-6 weeks, keep your body guessing. Vary your rep ranges, set numbers, rest intervals and lifting tempos.