My Girlfriend and I have been having unprotected sex for some time now. I believe we stopped using protection since March of 2011. She has not gotten pregnant, although sometimes she has had symptoms. She has missed her period many times, has had pain in her stomach, has thrown up while eating, has been really tired, has been feeling nautious, but even after all those symptoms she doesn't get pregnant. The last time we had sex was on Halloween, I ejaculated inside of her while she was on her period. She recently told me a couple of days ago that she got her period after thinking that she might have been prgnant.  I'm curious to know if there might be something wrong with me, or maybe with her.

Any help I would appreciate it.

Hi Roach,

Having sex while on, or just after her period is likely too early.

Ideally, you'd like to have sex shortly before to about two days after ovulation.  Normally this would be between about days 11-16 of her cycle.  Day 1 is the day her period starts.

Your sperm can live up to about 5 days.  The egg, only 48 hours.  So, having sex between about days 6-18 should provide the best window.

FYI, we normally don't begin to consider fertility issues until a year has passed.  The odds, even when everything is perfect, is only about 1 in 5.

Hope it helps.