Lately I've been trying to go for longer runs. I slow my pace to get a longer run but I find even on shorter runs I'm using the same slow pace.

Might I suggest the Bird? Tha's right, the Bird! 10 minute warm up followed by 5 x 3 minute hard runs with a minute recovery after each one. 10 minute cool down. X introduced this workout to me and it kicked my arse. I was only able to do 4. I liked it though. It was nice to break things up and do something different for a change. joel

What kind of mileage are you doing when you do your LR's and where do they fall during your week.

Do you do any speed work?

I'm too lazy to look up your 5K PR so why don't you post it along with the pace you're doing your long runs so we can see what the pace difference is?

okay.....why is it called the "bird"?
I just did a similar one on the 'mill last night (Jack Daniels' just calls them "ti" runs. 8x5 minute with 30 sec rest. OMG....it was so hard that, twice, I felt the puke rising in my throat. This better make me faster or I'll be awriting a nasty letter to the masochist who wrote this book!

My 5k PR is 24:16. I'm getting a 9-10 minute mile pace on long runs. I do my long runs on no particular day. No speed work.

well....if you have an aversion to the track (I totally understand) and you really don't like working out a schedule and like to do your runs by feel.....then you really have to add some fartleks into a couple of your runs. You don't even have to be real technical....make them fun. For instance: increase your pace to a little slower than your 5k pace until you pass 2 telephone poles and then slow down for the next 4......do again.

Also another way to not lose the quickness is to add strides at the end of one or two of your runs a week. They don't have to be long 50-100 meters. concentrate on long, easy strides. I try to act like my feet should barely touch the ground--kind of like if you had 50 meters of hot coals to cross....you want to go quickly---but without powerful strides that would push onto the hot coals.

sue

okay.....why is it called the "bird"?
Because my friend, who people call 'Bird', told me about it. I also didn't know how to label it in my log - tempo? interval? fartlek? Bird was easiest. I'm sure there is a real official term for it like VO2 * LMAO run or something. If someone knows, please share.