Can you tell me how long pauses between runs should be? Fore example, I usually run for 15 minutes at a time and I have to make a pause in order to pull myself together, because I must admit that running is a pretty exhausting activity. So, how long can I pause before the next running period? Bear in mind that I’m new to running.

Well, it all depends on your running routine and condition. In my opinion, whenever you feel that you can’t run any more, you should make a pause. I suggest that the pause shouldn’t be longer than 5 minutes, during which you’ll continue walking. By no means should you sit down or relax in that way, because you’ll stop the metabolic process. But if you’re too exhausted and need more time to rest, and then make it 10 minutes. Anyway, I think that you should gradually increase the time of your training and always run 5 minutes more than at the previous training. There’s no need to insist on increasing speed and mileage if you’re exhausted afterwards and you should feel great after the training.

I could see 2 methods working here:

1) Try slowing your pace a little and extend your time to 16 minutes for the next 2 weeks until you get back to the same pace you did the 15 minute run. Then, slow your pace again and do 17 minutes for 2 weeks until you can do the longer run at your 15 minute pace. See where I'm going with this?

2) Figure out about how far you are going in 15 minutes. Average out the distance over 3 or 4 runs. Then, try running without a watch a few times. Stop looking at your time. You have to relax. You may slow down a little, but take the pressure off yourself. Then try to extend the distance that you are running instead of the time. It sounds like you are fixating yourself on 15 minutes and putting up your own mental barrier.

D