:wavey:

Hi! My name's Bill and I go to school in Boston. I run mostly down by the Charles right now. Once or twice a week I'll do a 8.8 mile path, then on the weekend I'll try to go a little further.

Here's a question I have: How do people carry water in long runs? I know a lot of people have set spots where they can get water, but I don't really have that convenience. Tomorrow I was just thinking about going out there with a water bottle in one hand (instead of my ipod). Is this the best way? Last week I ran 12.25 miles without any water breaks and I don't think I want to do that again.

Try a google searh on "hydration belts".
I don't wear mine often, I run in the country and have the luxury of stashing water bottles along the way.

I use a bottle carrier that I picked up a local sporting goods store. Hold a 20 ounce bottle, and has pockets for money, gel's, etc.

Most of the bottle carriers are designed so that there is little or no bounce to them.

I either run a loop and set some in my yard or have someone ride along on a bike and carry a couple.

Have any of you tried a CamelBak?

I use it when I ride my bike for a long ride, 10+ miles or more. The one I use is the 100 ounce model

I use a Camelbak for biking, but haven't tried it for running. I have seen a few people use them, but the vast majority don't. It just wouldn't feel right to me, but I guess you get used to it. Every long run I do pretty much consists of an out and back or loops, so I drop a water bottle at my car or drive to a certain point on the route and drop one there. I just pick it up as I go, drink a little, then drop it. After the run I either walk to pick it up if it's not far or drive. Works for me.

I was a Fuelbelt user, then switched to an Amphipod belt a few months ago.

A better design in a lot of ways, IMHO; you can configure it to carry up to 4 bottles, plus gel flasks, and the bottle carriers are more secure than Fuelbelt's elastic.

My long runs are on multi-use trails not accessible to vehicles, so stashing bottles isn't an option (the horses'd probably step on them anyway ;)).

I use the fuel belt myself......great for what I need. I did a 17 miler yesterday and carried 4 flasks. Never tried the gel bottle though. I usally carry GU in a pocket then just rip the top off and use it with a little water.

I'm a huge fan of the fuel belt too. I've also used the amhipod, and like it. It's a matter of finding what's comfortable for you. I've toyed with the idea of a camelback on long runs but haven't been that brave yet. If you go that direction, let me know what you think.

99 percent of the time my course have a place to get water built in. I have a long run planned for Friday Morning and I am guessing I will have to go out the night before and drops some bottles of water or Gatorade. I just hope I can find them in the morning.

FuelBelt, up to 8 bottles full in the summer. Also have a 20oz bottle belt that holds the bottle on my lower back that I find more annoying because I have to strap it REALLY tight to prevent bounce, but it keeps my Gatorade cold better than the FuelBelt.

I am really leaning in this direction. There is a small zipper pocket at the top too where it looks like I can store the ipod (I need music, it keeps me sane :P ) Right now, I'm pretty much just looking for the best price and it looks like new models might be coming out, so I'll have to see if those will be worth it or not.

You could just drink several liters of water every day, and have a few more when you get back from your run. That's what works for me.
But then again, I've never gone more than 8 miles, soo.... Maybe I'm not the best one to give advice on this subject.