Im new on here but after reading everyone's posts, I guess I'm not the only one. I am 35 and suddenly out of the blue about two years ago had a panic attack while driving (luckily I was only a few min from home and was right near my husband's work when it happened so I was able to pull into his work to calm down)..then it happened three times after that other places while driving. So ever since I have not been able to drive alone. I'm FINE when someone else is with me, but alone I cannot keep my worried thoughts away. (I smoked regular cigarettes for 12 years- chain smoker-about a pack a day-pall mall reds and ever since I quit I beleive the additives gave me terrible withdrawls and EVER SINCE I cannot drive without panicking). Please note-this is ONLY while driving because I DO know how to calm myself down when I'm not driving because I can then focus souly on myself and my breathing-but when panicking while driving, I cannot just focus on myself because I then now have to focus on controlling my car+ trying to avoid an accident + trying to avoid blocking traffic due to if I have to stop or cant pull over in time)...sigh..this is really affecting my marriage! I hadn't had a panic attack in a year but sadly, my daughter's high school does not provide bus transportation to our street (they rezoned our district) so because we live outside city limits, the school bus wont drive her to my house which means I'm forced to drive her 16 min there an back. I have found a few back road (quiet roads) to her school thank goodness, but some of the areas I HAVE to drive through is heavy traffic lights :( And those are the only times I feel a panic happening (when I pull to a stop light). I do NOT take meds because I don;t believe they will work plus I do NOT want to become addicted to anything, and I don't believe they cure anything as it is only in my head (I've always been anxious my entire life but during the times I smoked I never freaked out about anything). I have tried almost everything but I'm too scared to drive alone. My friend tried following behind me to get me used to driving alone but when I tried driving witout her following me one day I just had another attack. I don't want to be a reckless driver. I workout ALOT, tried yoga,  take high magnesium/calcium, vitamin D3, I cut out caffiene, I  became wholefood vegan, I vape ecigs (they work great except ever since I quit the regular ciggs with "additives" (I trully believe the additive chemicals in ciggs is what alters our minds somewhow since I read they have traces of anti depressent chemicals in them that oviously prevented me from having panic attacks before). I still get scared at the wheel. I have even tried listening to calm music in the car, trying to focus on happy thoughts.......help! NOTHING IS WORKING!  I know its the "Fear" of having a panic attack while driving is what it is, but I cannot stop worrying..Im fine with never driving alone again since i work from home, but Im tired of my husband nagging me to drive and now my daughter is doing the same :(

I know what you are saying. Ever since I quit cigs 14 months ago, I delveloped anxiety. Never had it before. In the begining I had panic attacks with the anxiety. Once while driving it was so bad i drove myself to the ER. After many tests and wasted all that time for them to tell me it was anxiety. As time went on, I was able to control it and have not had one in 12 months. I still get anxiety once a week but that does not last the whole day either and is very mild. It use to be daily. Don't let paninc attackts stop you from driving. If you read other posts and many books on this topic you will see that it cannot kill you and you will be fine. The more you ignor the feelings the less it will happen until they just dissappear all together which is happening with me. I use to go out with family and friends while having insane anxiety and panic feelings and they had no clue how I was feeling inside but I did not let it stop me from enjoying life.  Hey, it may come back matter of fact I sure that it will one day. But you know what? I don't care because I have been through it so many times and know that it won't kill me and I'm still here so screw it. Get in that car have youself a nice paninc attack and tell yourself you will be fine it can't hurt you and just let it happen. Don't fight it let it run its course and you will see that you will survive it. Once you get to your destination while having it, it will be a huge releif. Good luck.

Check these links and read the posts. You are not alone

https://www.steadyhealth.com/Quit_smoking_a_year_ago___sick_ever_since__t85171.html

https://www.steadyhealth.com/Shortness_of_breath_after_stopping_smoking_t160762.html

One more thing, cut out out the ecigs those are not healthy as well. No one really know what is in those either. Most if not all contain nicotine which is what you want to cut out.