This is a topic that relates to all diabetics - being a responsible citizen and how to ensure safety of other citizens in the community. I have been a diabetic for numerous years and have always been worried that my sugar might drop while driving. Sometimes if I do not feel great, I would take a taxi rather than drive myself. How do other diabetic patients approach this issue?

I think it is the responsibility of a person with diabetes to check their blood sugar for hypoglycemia if they are going to be behind the wheel of a car.  They should always carry snacks with them, too, if they do experience hypoglycemia while driving.  It is a good idea for them to carry their glucometer so they can pull over and check their blood sugar reading.  It is just common sense to listen to your body and don't ignore the signs of hypoglycemia especially when driving.

Does anyone else check their sugars while driving?  Are there any over-the-road drivers that have experienced hypoglycemia when out on the interstates?

Apprentice

Dear Guest. As a citizen who is involved in traffic daily, I applaud all diabetics that approach this issue seriously. From a medical perspective, make sure to check your sugar before you go on a trip. Also, do you recognize easily the symptoms of hypoglycemia? If so, you should be fine, pull over whenever you start experiencing the symptoms. Best, Tom