I am a heavy goods vehicle driver and just found out that I am diabetic.  I am 38 years old and have been driving truck for the last 22 years and I have a good driving record.  One of the drivers I know said I may have to be looking for another job because I can't be driving truck and driving.  Has anyone heard of this?  I think as long as I am driving without difficulty I should be able to keep my job.  I want to knwo if there anyone who knows about this?  Is there some special conditions that allows me to keep my job?  i don't know any other type of job, I am not skilled in anything else.  Truck driving is all I know... it's my life.  If someone would have some good news for me, I would be so happy.  I am willing to take tests or get a physical to keep my job.  I am hoping the otehr driver doesn't know what he's talking about. 

Hello!  I understand your concern over wanting to keep your driving since it is your livelihood and the only thing you have known to do.  I would not be worried about losing your job just yet.  Just because you have a diagnosis of diabetes doesn't mean that you will lose your job.  You didn't mention if you have difficulty with your blood sugars.  Are they just mildly elevated?  Are you experiencing low blood sugars or hypoglycemia?  Your doctor may recommend if you are to be driving or not.  If he or she didn't say anything, you may be just fine with driving truck.  Did you mention to your doctor that you drive for a living?  If you have real concerns about it, you can say something to him about it and see what he says.  If anything, you should be ok, just so you are compliant with your diet and exercise to control your sugars.