Hi, I'm new here, and relatively new to running. I've been athletic all my life - I've played nearly every organized sport at all different levels - basketball, soccer, softball, football, volleyball, shotput, discus, and more. About a year and half ago, I tore the exterior ligaments in my left ankle - during recovery of that I was in a walking cast for awhile, which caused Osgood-Schlatters in my left knee from over-development of my left quads. I had surgery on my left knee to remove the very large cyst and grind down the boney growth at the connecting point of my pateller tendon.

Fast-forward to today. Having put on 40 or so pounds in the past 2 years from the inability to maintain my active life (and laziness), I began running daily again a month or two ago. I'm 6'3, about 245-250lb (my typical weight is around 210-215, lots of muscle). Every night I run 2 miles in 14 minutes. My path is all concrete, somewhat cracked and uneven, uphill and down. Because of my increased weight and gradually learning to NOT favor my right leg as my left knee recovers, I'm having a lot of trouble with my form, which is causing horrible shin-splint pain in my right leg every few days. I've been making a conscious effort to stride farther forward, lifting my toes more so when my foot lands I'm rolling from the heel to the toe better. I noticed that my main problem was taking too high a step and coming down with all my weight in a single blow to the back-middle of my foot. Concentrating on striding farther forward for a rolling-landing has helped quite a bit, but after about 4 days of nightly outings my right shin-splint pain reaches a point where I have to take a day or two off.

I'm wondering if any of you have suggestions for what else I can do to improve my form, decrease impact, and lessen pain in my right leg. I've never had a running coach or read anything on running technique - my entire life until now (I'm 25), I was in good enough shape and completely uninjured so these problems never arose. Can you help me with any pointers?

Thanks a bunch.

Dr. Scholl's single-handidly eliminated my splints. It's a pain transferring them from shoes to shoes if you're cheap and only buy one pair though.

i'm prone to shin splints as well and have discovered several interventions that help.

-a visit to a podiatrist or PT for a gait analysis and possible orthotics
-alternate running on concrete with softer surfaces (dirt, grass, even asphalt is softer)
-ice your shin[s] at least 2x a day
-after the pain/tenderness go away-run every other day for a while
-keeping your weight down
-calf and shin stretches after brisk walking for a few minutes to warm up

good luck-

m.

i left one thing out-- visit a good running specialty store and invest in a great, cushioned shoe. if you visit a podiatrist or a PT they will suggest what type of shoe you need based upon your gait weaknesses.

m.

Good advice. Proper shoe and fitting is essential.