With advice from the tri club coach, I'm considering getting a pair of flippers to help me in my kick for swimming as I do need to improve in this area and also to help develop ankle flexibility (which I'm really poor at). Has anyone had any success/improvements in using flippers during swim training? Just curious...

Yes. :)

They should be used during drills. They can easily become a crutch. I have the blue Zoomers. These have been the standard but some coaches are going to the split fin.

Warm up first because they can send your HR through the roof if you are not a strong kicker (i.e. 99.9% of us). They will help you feel a better body position.

Try this:

6-beat kick drill: with bottom hand extended, kick 6 beats, swim one stroke and switch sides. You wil be 90 degrees to the bottom.

Now do a set of 4 x (25 yd 6 kick, 25 swim)

They are also great for doing 1 arm drills in the beginning.

Both of these drills nearly drown me so I avoid doing them. I should try them with flippers maybe it'll help stabilize me.
I love the flippers but only use them with the kick board.

According to my coach, Ill probably be doing my kick workouts with the flippers. I seem to have so much trouble kicking with the kickboard b/c I have the tendency of not using my thigh muscles to drive the kick (as well as the stiff ankles). Now at least with flippers Ill be going somewhere with kicking... :)

flippers for the drills would be beneficial.....not sure exactly what you are training in the pool for, but if it is tri's might be better to focus on overall swim technique and body position as in a tri related swimming there is very limited benefit for a hard kick.

Another drill you can try if you are having a hard time starting the kick from the butt and upper legs is go to the deep end of the pool and just wade out and kick while up right, this postion will require you to kick the legs with the upper leg and just finish the kick with the ankles and lower leg.